A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Win 7 is Running XP won't boot (safe mode sreen for xp)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Win 7 is Running XP won't boot (safe mode sreen for xp)

Postby Thebutcher7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 am

I did that and I got the error:
-----
Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file
-------
I also checked the Boot.ini file and it still had the warnings listed when I edited them from DualBootPro under tools legacy editor...Should I delelete the warnings?

Now I never seen this before so progress is defintly being made, before it used to just restart autumaticly showing the safe mode and such.

Thanks again for all this help, I really appreciate it.
PRO New Member

Re: Win 7 is Running XP won't boot (safe mode sreen for xp)

Postby Thebutcher7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I tried again today and when I started to boot up XP Pro got the same message, then I hit F8 and I got the safemode screen with the options. But still nothing. Now in another thread on here titled Windows 7 and XP Pro dual boot oddity, it mentions that the 100MB reserved needs to be called a drive letter. Could this be any issue?

Also with the error message that I got again was this

"Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Would replacing the NTosknrl.exe file help? And where would it go?

Update:

I tried to see if I could repair XP Pro from the install disc and also used a recovery disc and both got the blue screen error on XP Pro.

The problem is that I really need to get back into the XP Pro to show my presentation tommorrow morning for a client. 7 is still up and running and I can see the xp drive in there. I think I moved the correct files over to the 7 drive ntldr, NTDETECT and Boot.ini.

Before when I partitioned 1 hardrive vista was at D drive and XP read C drive, but only XP pro was active without dual boot. When I upgrade to 7, 7 was now c drive and xp was D drive on 1 hardrive.

Thanks
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems