A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Wifi Question..

Wifi Question..

Postby rippinchikkin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey guys, wifi question. I run my internet into a Netgear WNDR3700 (wireless router) in my computer room. The router covers our whole house with a strong signal, but for some reason our iPads and phones will not connect when you are in the front of the house (pretty much the furthest point from the office, our house is not that big so its not very far). Still plenty of signal, but devices come back with an 'unable to connect' message. And I still have all the bars?

We used to have no problem connecting up front, about a month ago we started getting the 'unable to connect' message. Do I need a signal booster? An airport or another access device? I have a switch behind our tv/dvd/dvr to connect all of those devices and could easily plug something in up front. After looking at new-egg, there are so many different types of boosters and extenders that I wasn't sure what might be my best choice. Instead of playing guess the best device, I would draw upon the collective here. What would be the most appropriate device or..

If you have a solution as to what may be causing the connection error, that would be great also.
We have a strong signal up there, things just wont connect. I have dumped and re set the network on the devices, nothing.

Thanks
David
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Re: Wifi Question..

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I just did a test to see how far away I could get with my iPad from our wi-fi and stay connected, and I guesstimate it at about 50 feet outside, where it switches to our Verizon account.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Wifi Question..

Postby jackslap » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:21 pm

I had a similar problem with 2 wireless desktops 1 wired desktop, 7 laptops in my house 1600 sq ft living space counting basement, 5 smart phones, had a lot of trouble keeping everyone connected, even wired desktop. Would show as having lots of bars and limited access, that was with an n router, had a belkin wireless router unused so hooked it to an empty port on n router and when one router is maxed for connections devices connect to the other. Seems to work well set up like that.
PRO Level 11

Return to General Tech Chat