A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Wi-Fi Intrusion Question

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:03 am

Turning of the SSID alone will not necessarily prevent a network from being connected. It is meant to deter network scans but it is clearly evident that this is flawed because Windows XP can detect networks with their SSID disabled. As can WEP and even MAC addresses.
WEP can be cracked within minutes... the US Government even proved this. Online cracking tools are available for WEP. Basically a software needs to do is to analyze the packets being sent and it can crack the code. I believe finding out machine MAC addresses uses this same method (a simple registry modification can change a MAC Address on a computer)
Both WPA and WPA2 offer a good amount of protection. It doesn't matter which one you use, except WPA2 needs more recent hardware in order to use it.

Of course, if you use in combination WEP, SSID disabling, and MAC addresses, they can significantly increase security.
PRO Level 15

Postby Combat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 pm

NT50 wrote:I setup Mac ID when I used a linksys to keep the kids off at certain hours.

thank god my Dad, isnt that advanced. :lol:
Generic person: "is your computer DIGITAL?"

Steve Wozniak: "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Leonard Brandwein: "Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."

USA senator: "And again, the Internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes."
PRO Level 2

Previous

Return to Security & Virus