Re: Why you should only alter one thing at a time

Postby Chippychap » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:04 pm

It is now working.
Thank you for holding my hand through this. :embarrassed:

I now understand the phrase

P.E.B.K.A.C.

"Problem exists between keyboard and chair. :yesnod:

Thanks mate.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Postby augie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Excellent news! ^*^ :drinking So what did you do to finally get it going? It would help me to know as I've never had a pre-installed system, I was only going by general principles, and perhaps someone else stumbling in here. Sure it was PEBKAC but you've learnt quite a bit too eh at very low cost may I add. You didn't lose important documents or pictures etc. so it's not that painful?;) Those moments of my PEBKACs I will never in my life, forget! :pc :rofl:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Chippychap » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:25 am

It wasn't the PCI device DRIVER I uninstalled it was the PCI device itself. :embarrassed:

One of the options on the BIOS I found was "Reset Configuration Data" doodad.

It was a lucky hit and the beastie just booted as though it didn't know what all
the fuss was about. :whistle

It also found the right driver to update and sort out the jerky graphics.

You are right augie I HAVE learned loads. One of the key things was that don't throw away

your old PC. Keep it as a spare for contacting help should the big boy be ill. Also, I had a

peek under the hood.

The sight of it lighting up again will stay with me for a long time.

I am sorry to be so needy but I DO appreciate your help and patience.

Thank you. :yesnod: ^*^ :notworthy
PRO Level 7

Postby augie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:45 pm

LOL @ PCI device! Too bad that I missed the significance of resetting the BIOS to default as that wouldn't hurt anything. I agree on a second PC, it doesn't matter how old or slow as long as one could get online, even if only with a Linux LiveCD which is slo-o-o-o-w-w-w-w as it only loads into memory and works off the CD. Truly a lifesaver if one's hardware still works.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby gggirlgeek » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:37 am

So wait a minute (if you're still around.) Did you "reset configuration data" or restore optimized defaults in the BIOS? These could be two very different things. I have never seen a "reset configuration data" option in a BIOS. -- Update; I take that back. This option was in my old old pc 13 years ago! (I hunted around and found a screen shot of it.) But I was too inexperienced to understand what it did, until now. :)

It's funny because while reading your progress I was thinking: I wonder if he tried a hard boot -- maybe even pulling the cmos battery and resetting the BIOS. That's essentially what you did! But they had a nice option for it right in the program. (And they removed this from most computers, why?)

So for future readers with almost any hardware problem preventing startup: try a hard boot first. Do this by shutting down and unplugging the computer. Press the power button for 10 seconds to discharge it. Then wait for 30 seconds (could wait for 5 minutes to be sure.) Plug it in and reboot. This a very safe option and won't hurt a thing.

If that doesn't do the trick try pulling the Cmos battery. Power down and unplug and discharge again. Unplug the monitor too. Open the computer and find what looks like a watch battery on the mother board. Gently pop it out and wait 5 minutes then put it back in. (Watch out for static! Try rubbing your hands with a piece of fabric softener beforehand. This is why I say unplug the monitor.) The Bios will be reset when you boot up. You may have to set up some stuff again. So try keep a record of what the settings were. The link below says use your cell phone camera to take pictures of the Bios! Good idea.

Here is some good info from: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

"The Reset Configuration Data BIOS setting

Resetting the BIOS itself (dealt with further along in this article) so that the entire BIOS is reset must not be confused with its Reset Configuration Data setting (shown in the second image from the top of the page) that resets its hardware configurations. That setting is enabled and the BIOS resets what the BIOS knows about all of the hardware components and peripheral devices (printers, etc.) and then disables the option so that its isn't repeated with every system startup. All of the existing hardware configuration data is erased and then replaced, giving a fresh start that can resolve many hardware misconfiguration problems.

The following problem is the type of problem that can be resolved by using the Reset Configuration Data setting in the BIOS: "I was changing the screen resolution on an older Intel Pentium III computer running Windows XP Pro when the screen went blank and said, 'not supported, 87Hz.' Only the first boot screen appears, which allows me to enter the BIOS, otherwise the screen remains blank."
PRO New Member

Postby Chippychap » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 am

WOW! I didn't try any of the boot doodads cos I have never heard of them before.
I didn't do a BIOS reset. I knew that I had cocked up a PCI device so found, by chance, a reset PCI option and tried that.
My problem was that, by duffing up the PCI device it just wiped out the graphic so PC was working away but no picture.
I was lucky in that prior to me nuking it I had found a website carrying ALL BIOS options so I could calmly go through the list
before booting into BIOS and doing the alterations.
Thank you for your link and the heads up on various booting tips and tricks.
Bless you. :yesnod:
PRO Level 7

Previous

Return to General Windows Support