A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

What is the best anti-virus software out there?

Postby Jack-Knife (Geo) » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:23 pm

"Face Your Fears, Live your dreams!"
PRO Level 6

Postby *Starz* » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:51 pm

Geo,

You are going to get a lot of opinions on that one...personally I like AVG by Grisoft.

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.ht ... d701e48390

You might want to spend some time reviewing different programs that will suit your needs at CNET.

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html? ... ch=+Go%21+

It wouldn't hurt to do more comparisons at other sites as well...here's one I like. Try using the different scans as well.

http://www.pcflank.com/downloads.htm

There's tons of information available...try searching through our Virus Section you are sure to find more...Good Luck
Last edited by *Starz* on Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Mac33 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:29 pm

Now Geo that's more like it. We are here to help that is our business. I, along with others here, were surprised at your first post and wondered why you wanted to make it a poll. We have always got to be on the alert, and your post did exactly that as it is very unusual to come on, make a poll, then give a link to a sub-seven virus. Now i always thought that a UK citizen like you and myself, always were corteous, and would have considered the effect your first post could have had.
I will say that you are very welcome here at the PROneTworks, and i hope you will be able to participate in the future, but try not to frighten us.....please.
all the best :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:44 pm

Like Starz said, ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred opinions on this. I don't think it's necessarily what's the best, as long as it is updated frequently and is kept updated. Go to an independent site that tests all the major antivirus programs and look at what they found. Starz, you may want to check this out also, since Grisoft didn't cut it. It failed on another independent test site also.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/tests.xml?200302
PRO PLATINUM

Postby *Starz* » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:38 pm

Thanks Bell for posting that page...although I've never had a problem with AVG...the one Trojan I picked up while browsing was actually healed by that program...However this information certainly merits looking into and I always trust your opinion...Thanks Again... :yesnod:
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Thanks for your help

Postby Jack-Knife (Geo) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:53 pm

Sorry if i frightend you on my first post, it was a bit thoughtless of me i suppose i was however only trying to inform people who could be effected by the trojan. I however dont know any other sites with information on the trojan, other than the author of the trojans website.
Thanks for your help on the virus software question.
Geo
"Face Your Fears, Live your dreams!"
PRO Level 6

Postby *Starz* » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:15 pm

Geo...we appreciate your intent...and hope to see more of you here in the forums... :yesnod:
[align=center]Image

PRO Level 16

Postby branbo » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:13 pm

anti-virus programs oh there are so meny and so few good ones, the thing i look for is how the engine scans for virus and how often they update the dat files. a good rule of thumb is to not open e mail attachments that end in .exe, .com, .bat or .vbs. i find that anti-virus programs are only good for older (week +) virus, first the virus comes out then the cure, my fav is norton i like how its engine works.
branbo
PROfessional Member

Postby RIP! » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:54 pm

I have to agree with the general over all opinion here. I use AVG also, however there are other AV pgms out there that are certainly worth looking into. I just have never been a big fan of Norton or McAfee for several reaons.

If you do however find the perfect AV pgm pls be sure to share it.

RIP!
RIP!

Postby lilwip » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:12 pm

The best antivirus I have ever used is safe internet and computing practices and a good firewall. Software is helpful in detection and cleanup of viruses. But if you don't get infected in the first place.. That is 100 times better.

Never open an e-mail from someone you don't know. Never download an attachment from someone you don't know. If you get an attachment that looks suspicious that is from someone you DO know, then send them an e-mail and ask if the sent it. Don't download and open files from non-reputable sites (i.e. Warez sites, irc, icq, kazaa.) These places are FULL of script kiddies who would love nothing more than to give you their latest and lamest attempt at a virus (which, btw is never an actual virus.) Don't allow connections to your pc through your firewall on any unnecessary ports. Block down your netbios ports. Don't open port 21 unless you're running an ftp server. Be safe and be smart, or be lucky.... :)

If you do want to run an antivirus, I have used and like pc-cillin and panda. Norton is ok, but very intrusive. McAfee has made decent products in their time. To each his own... Find what works for you and your setup. But like RIP said, let us know what you decide on. Maybe it will help someone else make a decision.
=====

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Security & Virus