A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

What is CPU folding / GPU folding?

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

What is CPU folding / GPU folding?

Postby Wai_Wai » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:09 am

What is CPU folding?
What is GPU folding?

I don't get what the meaning of "fold / folding" is in this particular context. I must be very poor in English. :embarrassed:

Take a look at this paragraph:
"I run the CPU version of FAH as a service on her machine and it folds 24x7. When she sits on the machine since the FAH runs in low priority she does not feel the cpu being bogged down when she does email, browsing or here print shop/publisher kind of things. Since she is not a hard core gamer I was thinking of putting a cheap ATI 2XXX or 3XXX and fold with the GPU as well. My main question I guess is, Does the GPU client behave in the same way as the CPU client where it can fold nonstop but if she opens anything with any 3d or whatever that will have priority?"

I can fold paper or newspaper but I don't think I can fold a computer, a CPU, GPU. :roleeyes

Thanks. [/b]
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:39 am

Everything you ever wanted to know about folding and probably more. It's for a good cause as you'll see and I've been folding for about five years now. If you want to join our team, we have a sticky about folding in the lounge and this where I'm moving this thread.:)

http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ (or your own language)

Just to quickly say that CPU folding means just that, it uses the CPU and for GPU folding it uses certain video card's GPU with a great increase in speed for folding. If you're still confused then ask away and I'll try to help.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Wai_Wai » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for the rely. It's much clearer now.

I'm still reading the FAQ while replying. So it seems to be similar to Prime95 where it makes use of our redundant computer processing power (many people like to buy powerful computers just for browsing and text processing :D) to do analysis or find solutions. This project looks interesting. :)
PRO Level 2

Postby blodger14 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:59 pm

does anybody know the pronetworks team number, or if there even still is a pronet team?
PRO Level 7

Postby augie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:07 pm

blodger14 wrote:does anybody know the pronetworks team number, or if there even still is a pronet team?

13790 We still need the help. :) I made the mistake of inputting the wrong team number after formatting and lost 5 weeks of folding for Pro! :bashhead
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:30 pm

augie wrote:
blodger14 wrote:does anybody know the pronetworks team number, or if there even still is a pronet team?

13790 We still need the help. :) I made the mistake of inputting the wrong team number after formatting and lost 5 weeks of folding for Pro! :bashhead

Bummer Augie. I don't know what is wrong, I have tried to intall and use F.A.H. on my Q6600 system, the one in my signature, but it must not like my Raid setup or something because it won't run.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm

yeshuas wrote:
augie wrote:

Bummer Augie. I don't know what is wrong, I have tried to intall and use F.A.H. on my Q6600 system, the one in my signature, but it must not like my Raid setup or something because it won't run.

I did a quick search on their forums but found diddly squat. Anyways, as soon as my payment clears(starting to really hate Paypal) and I get my Q6600 going I'll give some feedback.

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:03 pm

augie wrote:
yeshuas wrote:
augie wrote:

I did a quick search on their forums but found diddly squat. Anyways, as soon as my payment clears(starting to really hate Paypal) and I get my Q6600 going I'll give some feedback.

It's not the CPU, because before I built the system with Raid I used it and it worked fine with F.A.H., I don't know why it won't install and run now but it doesn't
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Distributed Computing