A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

What do we have besides Windows and Linux

What do we have besides Windows and Linux

Postby SmokeYou » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:42 pm

i use windows and mac os most of the time. i noticed that apple even uses a BSD subsystem. so a mac is virtualy linux but better. windows is old and i hate linux. i want to know if there is any other os that

1. isn't windows
2. isn't linux (this includes Apple and BSD)
3. is different

Lay it on me whats out there if you know web url's and download links that would be great.
PRO Level 11

Postby ar1stotle » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, there's proprietary operating systems for devices like cell phones, GPS devices, cash registers, and other devices that don't function like regular PCs. I don't know of any other OSs that are for home/business computers though.

But I've got to comment on your 3rd sentence: Mac OSs are Unix based, but as far as which is better.... Mac OS/OSX is more idiot proof, but other Linux-based distros have much more flexibility. So as far as which is better... I'd say the Mac ones are worse :)
PRO BRONZE

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:04 am

Linux, Unix, BSD, solaris, OS-X..

however OS-x is a a variation of Unix and solaris is best for Sun systems..
PRO Level 15

Postby imnuts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:35 am

Unless you are working with a proprietary system, you aren't going to find one that isn't windows, linux, or unix. Even then, the OS is likely based on unix in most cases. I'm guessing there are probably people out there that have written their own operating system, but it is still going to be based around something, or pull in components from other systems to make it compatible with other things.
PRO SUPREME

Postby SonicSpeed » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 am

There's always BeOS...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS
PRO Level 14

Re: What do we have besides Windows and Linux

Postby poisonbl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:26 pm

SmokeYou wrote:i use windows and mac os most of the time. i noticed that apple even uses a BSD subsystem. so a mac is virtualy linux but better. windows is old and i hate linux. i want to know if there is any other os that

1. isn't windows
2. isn't linux (this includes Apple and BSD)
3. is different

Lay it on me whats out there if you know web url's and download links that would be great.

Very, very little. I do have to poke at #2, though... GNU/Linux is a form of Unix, not the other way around... OS-X is a variant of a BSD, ... also a Unix.

As for 'different' ... there's really very few approaches that have been made to OS's. DOS, Windows, Unix, and... a little to the side, Plan9, which is almost-kinda a form of Unix. Never tried it myself. Then, BeOs which is all by itself I think, somewhere out there. Solaris, as a note, was a bit rough on x86 hardware last I checked... but it's a Unix anyways, so still outside your list.

*EDIT: I thought I should clarify... not all those that I mentioned as "Unix" are officially 'approved' to bear that name, they're very close relatives, though.
PRO Level 10
Location: WVU -- Morgantown, WV. -- USA (TZ: -5 hrs GMT, -4 DST)

Postby SmokeYou » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:53 am

i like BeOS i will need to try it. i also think it would be cool to port my phones os onto my pc. i know it cant be dont.

microsoft is working on a new os written in all managed c code. now it is no better then dos but is still avalible through microsoft.com
PRO Level 11

Postby strjms72 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 am

The most popular OS's have problems and bugs, even with lots of money being pumped in research. So what do you expect from some underground unpopular and unused OS
PRO New Member

Postby technech » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 am

mac
PRO New Member

Postby technech » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:20 am

wait wtf linux doesn't include mac just because they are both shell savy lol totally different operating systems. LOVE MAc'S and Linux lol but wouldn't include them together.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to General Tech Chat