A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 am

BILLMCC66 wrote:The problem Augie is that when i install it i have forgotten how to make it run.
You know me and my memory problem :-?

Ya, I know.:( I'll walk you through it and make a guide from that at the same time. I'm sure others need one too.:) BTW, if you had stayed at MG's for a couple more days, you would have been the #1 producer! :lol:

Here's what mine looks like ATM, GTX 260 is on my second rig with the VMWare SMP on my primary quad, mind you the 260 has been overclocked, click on the image to see more detail:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Not wanting to be a pessimist but it looks like it's just the same,here is the last 24 hours on the other team and the first points for us and it's impossible to have 3 WUs for 525 points?????

I really have no explanation as the folding forum say this can not happen.
Attachments
2009-07-17_143410.png
2009-07-17_143410.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
2009-07-15_170041.png
2009-07-15_170041.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I am really disappointed in the folding forum (not here) http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10688 because they told me that it is impossible for this to happen but if you look at the results of my folding it is erratic to say the least on our team but when i went to another it was going like a train.
I have not given up just yet but i have a few other thing i am doing so i will just let it run for the moment.

I am putting together a wish list and then making it a realistic list to decide if i will build an i7 rig, I am not just going to throw money away but i am really interested in the project.
If i build it i have a choice of GPU for it the GTX295 and GTX260 that i am using at the moment or a GTX250 that is lying unused (brand new) in the workshop.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I see your numbers are coming back up, I guess that's for one PC? :cool:

As to an i7, that is a pricey thing indeed!
the lowest price is the 920 and with 8 GB RAM + mobo it's about $820 CDN. Add the PSU, case and OS on top and you're around $1200. Heck, if you can then why not eh? ;) I will wait until next year even though I'd love to have it tomorrow. Nope, no putting it on a CC for me!;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am

augie wrote:I see your numbers are coming back up, I guess that's for one PC? :cool:

As to an i7, that is a pricey thing indeed!
the lowest price is the 920 and with 8 GB RAM + mobo it's about $820 CDN. Add the PSU, case and OS on top and you're around $1200. Heck, if you can then why not eh? ;) I will wait until next year even though I'd love to have it tomorrow. Nope, no putting it on a CC for me!;)

I am running both PCs but shutting down at night, they are too noisy in the apartment.

I have done some research and believe i can put it together for about $1000 but that is using my existing case and PSU (750watt) so i will sit and ponder for a while or maybe wait until windows 7 is on full release, It's not as if i am in need of the rig for the moment.
No CC for me either,this is a hobby.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Well things are getting a bit desperate with our little team, we are going to start sliding back if we are not careful.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:06 pm

ya, well it is summer + heat and folks are on holiday and I hope that's all it is. :yesnod: I've been having all sorts of issues from ISP to heat to not being able to run SMP on W7 X64, just SMP is 2K PPD.

Anyways, if we stayed with current production we won't slide back for several months at least as we will keep gaining on the longtime teams that have fallen apart. It's too bad for the folding effort though as you can see there are some real barnburners coming our way too. All in all, the new teams have replaced and surpassed the defunct ones so that total production has still increased with the new GPU clients.

We're not dead yet! ;) ^*^

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:56 am

I am having trouble with heat as well, my 295 is constantly around 96c (had a peak of 106c yesterday :shocked: )that's why i have to shut it down at night or i will risk a meltdown.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Sorry guys but i am down to one PC, the heat problem has done some damage but i am not sure if it is savable (i think it's a doorstop now.)
It seems to have damaged the PCI slot and when i put it in the second slot i get video but it will not boot (from any thing HDD/CD/DVD/Flash) so i am doing a salvage operation for the time being.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Sorry to hear that Bill, at least the mobo and GPU are still under warranty. Surprising that a fan would go so soon, even a cheap one. (I did read your thread). Seems everyone's shutting down for the 'dog days of summer' now as we're really taking a hit. Man, even my A/C is working today!

Community Director

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing