A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:25 am

kd1966 wrote:
augie wrote:
kd1966 wrote:Oh........ ok; that's kinda what I do on my multi processor systems anyhow - separate folders (On the Vista and Win7 system anyway) for the FAH client. Can't wait to start! ^*^


You got the idea.;) :yesnod: BTW, you run SMP on your multicores?


Not sure what you mean......... (SMP) :question I mean I HAVE symmetric multiprocessors.......... and they "run"....... :lol:

Also, I just discovered my X1600XT is NOT supported by this............doh! I'll get to the 9800GTX in the morning


SMP loads up all cores all by itself without using say 4 regular FAH clients, I sort of got that impression when you said you separate the clients in different folders. SMP is way better for multicore folding and PPD! Oh ATI needs a minimum of an R600 GPU. BTW, we're getting too involved here for the intent of this thread, start a thread.;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director
User avatar
Posts: 7870
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Laurentians, Quebec

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:52 am

I have tried playing with Riva tuner and EVGA but nothing will improve my PPD.
I think the problem lies with the motherboard so i will speak to my local techie to see what he has to say on the subject,maybe i will change it but i have a feeling i am going to need a new tower as well and just to boost the PPD i think it's a bit overkill because i do not do a lot of gaming so the changes would be just for Stanford.
I am always open to suggestions on how to speed up the system(i like to play) but at the moment short of a rebuild i don't see any way to improve things but 5000+ PPD is not too bad.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8
User avatar
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: BELGIUM
Real Name: Bill McCarthy

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I have tried playing with Riva tuner and EVGA but nothing will improve my PPD.
I think the problem lies with the motherboard so i will speak to my local techie to see what he has to say on the subject,maybe i will change it but i have a feeling i am going to need a new tower as well and just to boost the PPD i think it's a bit overkill because i do not do a lot of gaming so the changes would be just for Stanford.
I am always open to suggestions on how to speed up the system(i like to play) but at the moment short of a rebuild i don't see any way to improve things but 5000+ PPD is not too bad.


Well, who knows why you can't OC Bill but I'm always a fan of affordable folding. I wouldn't want to see you burning a nice card like that. Perhaps the particular card you got doesn't want to be OC'd. IDK I doubt very much it's your mobo. Also OC'ing is not always straightforward with many pitfalls. I'd agree to leave well enough alone.;)

You may want to add a virtual Ubuntu SMP on your quad for some 1.8K PPD extra. I do have to get off my butt and finish that guide as it's not ready yet for beginners to Linux and VMWare :embarrassed: , and help you mop up some more of those quad cycles.:) It won't affect your day to day use either. Just something else to learn.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director
User avatar
Posts: 7870
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Laurentians, Quebec

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 pm

augie wrote:
BILLMCC66 wrote:I have tried playing with Riva tuner and EVGA but nothing will improve my PPD.
I think the problem lies with the motherboard so i will speak to my local techie to see what he has to say on the subject,maybe i will change it but i have a feeling i am going to need a new tower as well and just to boost the PPD i think it's a bit overkill because i do not do a lot of gaming so the changes would be just for Stanford.
I am always open to suggestions on how to speed up the system(i like to play) but at the moment short of a rebuild i don't see any way to improve things but 5000+ PPD is not too bad.


Well, who knows why you can't OC Bill but I'm always a fan of affordable folding. I wouldn't want to see you burning a nice card like that. Perhaps the particular card you got doesn't want to be OC'd. IDK I doubt very much it's your mobo. Also OC'ing is not always straightforward with many pitfalls. I'd agree to leave well enough alone.;)

You may want to add a virtual Ubuntu SMP on your quad for some 1.8K PPD extra. I do have to get off my butt and finish that guide as it's not ready yet for beginners to Linux and VMWare :embarrassed: , and help you mop up some more of those quad cycles.:) It won't affect your day to day use either. Just something else to learn.:)

I can't get mine to get the PPD's I was getting just a little over a week ago either, and I have tried all kinds of combinations of settings on my GTX 260, it really starting to bother me :bashhead
Game Over!!!!!!!!
Image
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development
User avatar
Posts: 5075
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Real Name: Daniel Schmidt

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 am

yeshuas wrote:I can't get mine to get the PPD's I was getting just a little over a week ago either, and I have tried all kinds of combinations of settings on my GTX 260, it really starting to bother me :bashhead


Hmm, so now there's two with the same issue. Throws my theory out the door! :confused
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director
User avatar
Posts: 7870
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Laurentians, Quebec

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am

I mean it is taking over an hour to do some that only give 384 points the one that gives 511 points took like 2 hours + Before I was doing the 384 point ones in a lot less than an hour :confused
Game Over!!!!!!!!
Image
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development
User avatar
Posts: 5075
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Real Name: Daniel Schmidt

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 am

yeshuas wrote:I mean it is taking over an hour to do some that only give 384 points the one that gives 511 points took like 2 hours + Before I was doing the 384 point ones in a lot less than an hour :confused


Well, the 511's obviously suck as I've had quite a few more than usual this past week though I've also gotten quite a few 353's in the process. So what I'm hearing now is that the OC was successful but the expected increase in PPD was not? Your shaders should be at 1400 or so IIRC, don't bother with the other clocks as they only increase heat with no gain. I wish I had a 260 to test out.:(
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director
User avatar
Posts: 7870
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Laurentians, Quebec

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:32 am

Can you actually control what you get to work on? Most of mine seem to be 1500, though I honestly have no idea what all types there are.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President
User avatar
Posts: 11795
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:18 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Real Name: John Derrick

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 am

kanaloa wrote:Can you actually control what you get to work on? Most of mine seem to be 1500, though I honestly have no idea what all types there are.


Nope , Stanford gives and you get. No choice at all due to the need to complete projects which they can then use to work on, whatever they do with it. You will get different projects according to which clients you run and different points and therefore different work units compared to what us GPU folders get and what we're talking about. Good question John. Seems you're using the uniprocessor GUI client, easiest to set up and forget. :whistle You're doing fine for that. :yesnod:

EDIT: I'm not sure about what you mean by '1500', your history shows 215 and 225 point WUs about one per day which is about right for an older single core CPU folding.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director
User avatar
Posts: 7870
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Laurentians, Quebec

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:21 am

I currently have my shaders set at 1500. It says in FAH Monitor that total PPD is in the 7000's but it is taking longer to do them that I am not getting the scores that I used to

Image
Game Over!!!!!!!!
Image
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development
User avatar
Posts: 5075
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Real Name: Daniel Schmidt

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
cron