A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

websete based IM?

websete based IM?

Postby l33t » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:22 am

hello!

its been a while since ive been able to come back to the community (things are very busy arround here) but i need help and i hope the pronet community can bail me out, again...

i needa way for people to be able to communicate with me. the best example i can use to describe what i need is the Online support that many comanies offer. you know the drill, click a link it opens a new page that allows the user to chat with the support staff on the other end.

i can easyily make a mini VB app that the user would DL and it would connect to an IRC server i could host, but i want to be able to do this entirely online.

so lets say you are given a link, you go there, a window opens where you can specify your username and send messages to the person on the other end, and they can send messsages back and forth.

hers is the catch:
1) i would like it to be as easy as possible for the user (soo al olinewould be nice)

2) the support staff (me and a few others) should be able to connect through an IM client (jabber seems like it might be able to do this, or maby IRC?).

3) the support staff should be able to communicate together

4) when the end user connect to the chat, the server will find the first support member that is online and automatically connect them

i know its a lot to ask, but does nybody know how i could impliment ths (preferably on linux (ubunt LAMP edition))

thanks.
PRO Level 14

Postby toxic chicken » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:46 am

http://jwchat.sourceforge.net/

if multiple people can be logged into a jabber account (or if you can make it choose an open account automatically and have a few set up), and you can modify it to only be able to send to the support people, that might do what you want.
PRO Level 5

Postby colsaunders2 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:20 am

<a href="http://www.meebome.com/learnmore.html" target="_blank">Meebome</a> is a site-based widget for online chat. From your description, it appears to do just what you need (and it looks really easy to setup!).
mATX build
ASUS P8P67-M PRO, i7-2600k @ 4.4, 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 2133 (9-11-10-28), PNY GTX 570 (750/1500/2000), Corsair H50, Strider Plus 750W, SG03B-F, VH238H, W7U x64

DELL Precision M6400
QX9300 @ 3.06, 8GB DDR3-1333, 1GB Quadro FX 3700M, Intel X-25M 160GB, Seagate 7200.4 500GB, 17" WUXGA E2E RGBLED, W7E x64
PRO Level 9

Postby l33t » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:59 am

@ colsaunders2, ya.. thats wht i was useing, but that only works when you are loggedin to the Meebo Account.
i has hopeinghtat i coud jsut use GAIM to connect to my server and the end users could use a web based interface to send messages.

@toxic chicken chicken

THANKYOU... that does EXACLY what i need, but its got way too many thinsg that need to be configured/installed

i need a way of using PHP or something simple to send messeasges back and forth to my server... from there i can send it to the Jabber server or what ever i use.

i dont need to give the end user a whole configuration window/client, jsut a simple way for them to be able to enter a few messages and recieve a mesage back...

i can run a Jabberserver and configure GAIM to connect to it. i jsut need a simple way for the user to have a flash object or simple interface that posts DIRECTLY to the server.
PRO Level 14

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts