A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VMWare WU's Don't Start after Completion

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

VMWare WU's Don't Start after Completion

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 pm

I have a question.
My VMware is running at about 12min per % and i am OK with that but when it reaches 100% it sends the result and then just stops, it does not get another job until i restart it???
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby yeshuas » Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I have a question.
My VMware is running at about 12min per % and i am OK with that but when it reaches 100% it sends the result and then just stops, it does not get another job until i restart it???

wow 12 min is fast!!!!!!!!! My fastest one is at 15 min, I must be doing something wrong or you have a much better processor and faster memory than I do.

As far as having to physically restart it to get another WU, I haven't a clue, but I am sure Algis has a idea or two.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:22 pm

yeshuas wrote:

wow 12 min is fast!!!!!!!!! My fastest one is at 15 min, I must be doing something wrong or you have a much better processor and faster memory than I do.

As far as having to physically restart it to get another WU, I haven't a clue, but I am sure Algis has a idea or two.[/quote

this is the PC with the Q6700 and 4gb DDR3 ram
2009-05-27_192329.png
2009-05-27_192329.png (211.3 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
Last edited by Grav!ty on Wed May 27, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image "placed inline" to avoid page distortion.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Wed May 27, 2009 6:11 pm

yeshuas wrote:

As far as having to physically restart it to get another WU, I haven't a clue, but I am sure Algis has a idea or two.

Well, as we all have a Q6600 @ stock, it's easy to compare. I have 4 GB RAM too using Vista X86 for the moment and I'm like Dan, 15min./TPF(Time Per Frame). I doubt the memory has anything to do with the speed. Perhaps it's a new WU? What's the project number and which client?

As to " physically restart it to get another WU", I've seen this happen with others quite a while ago but can't recall how they solved it. Crap memory of mine. :embarrassed: I'll go and do some hunting for ya there Bill but I have a few places to check on my list. What a pain eh? :pc

EDIT: I'll split this off later as it's time to start supper.;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Bill has a little faster Processor, his is a Q6700 and memory probably has a little to do with the lesser bottle necking maybe.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: VMWare WU's Don't Start after Completion

Postby imnuts » Wed May 27, 2009 11:25 pm

sounds like it's getting passed the "-oneunit" flag when starting up somehow. When that flag is passed, it will run one unit, send data, and shut down. Check the config file to see if it's set there as you can set other parameters for the client there. If you use a script to start it, check that as well.
PRO SUPREME

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm

OK here is a conundrum, i have got it working now so that it starts the next unit automatically, BUT it runs only at half speed 24min per % so i manually restart it and we are back to 12min per %.
now i am really confused.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:OK here is a conundrum, i have got it working now so that it starts the next unit automatically, BUT it runs only at half speed 24min per % so i manually restart it and we are back to 12min per %.
now i am really confused.

Perhaps something to do with affinity? I'm just guessing here as I often forget to set the affinity after a reboot.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to Distributed Computing