A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPro Boot: Vista (1st drive) and XP (2nd drive)

VistaBootPro Boot: Vista (1st drive) and XP (2nd drive)

Postby vetoyoches » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:58 am

I installed Vista on drive 1, then on drive 2 put a Dell Utility partition and XP.
Would chg boot via BIOS enable/disable drive 1 vs 2.
Wanted a boot manager to handle this better, installed VistaBootPRO. Added Vista, that worked. Tried to add XP, the Vista boot sees the XP drive as J:, I would call it drive 1, partition 2.
In VistaBootPRO it has Entry #2 as:
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {default}
Boot Drive: J:
Windows Drive:
System Bootloader: \ntldr
Windows Directory:

This causes an XP boot loop. Ideas??
Veto
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:22 am

First of all....Welcome to PROnetworks vetoyoches!! It's great to have you here; how about heading over to our Introduction Area so we can welcome you properly. Enjoy the site!

As to your issue; in a dual boot scenario, you should ALWAYS install the older (MS) OS first (In your case, XP should be installled before Vista). That being said, you can use the VistaBootPRO to "reinstall" your Vista bootloader. In our upcoming (Soon we hope) release of VistaBootPRO, you will be able to "add" your Vista boot information back to the BCD registry by adding a Vista OS (This is useful in cases like yours where you installed XP afterword, overwriting the Vista bootloader)

Please be patient as others stop by and give their assessment on your situation. Unless absolutely necessary, you'll want to avoid "starting over"
PRO PLATINUM

Postby vetoyoches » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:27 am

I did not install XP, I copied the Dell and XP partitions via partition Magic from USB external drive. So, the Vista bootloader is still intact (I assume).
I'm just looking for a way to "select" the 2nd drive, 2nd partition XP ntldr?
Veto
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Open VistaBootPRO, go to the manage entries tab, and add an XP OS. You can manually add the XP entry as a "Legacy" entry (Non Vista) there
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:16 pm

I am moving this to the Vista Chat/Support area
PRO PLATINUM

Postby The Phoenix » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 pm

That should work, oh and for reference moving your partitions over to the HDD after installing Vista has the same effect as installing XP after Vista.

This is because the Vista Install sets up the Bootloader and will only add XP properly on it's own if it has been installed prior to the Setup so it can see it, if you see what i mean.

But yes, VistaBootPro should solve your problem and is a brilliant piece of software that i am sure ProNetworks are proud of. Good on you.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby vetoyoches » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:16 pm

I did that before I started this post??? After setting Legacy in VBP, when I select the XP boot, it black screen's with 0xc000000f, corrupt \ntldr. I was looking for the fix to that problem?

Both Vista and XP need to be drive(0). So, I boot via bios enable/disable of the Vista(drive).
Veto
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 pm

Ok, so it looks like you did this:

Saved your XP installation as an image file and restored this image to a "slave" drive?

Vista is installed on the "Master" HDD on the first parition?

Then your problem is likely your XP Boot.ini file, as it still thinks it is booting from the "master" HDD, when in fact it is now on the slave drive. I would suggest you fix your XP Boot.ini file from Vista, and THEN add the XP entry to VBPro
PRO PLATINUM

Return to General Windows Support