A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista / Win 7 freezes during install

Vista / Win 7 freezes during install

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi

I know, my hard drive isn't the problem since:

1. It's brand new. I took it out of it's bag yesterday and there was nothing on it when I tried to install.

2. I managed to install XP on it fine.

Here's what happened.

I tried installing it the first time, but it kept giving me an error about windows being unable to find a suitable drive or something. So I went in my BIOS checked everything, put everything back to default and tried again (I had tried several times to install before doing that). After that, it worked fine, but I had misclicked and started the installation before partitioning my HD, so I canceled the install, and once I did that, it would just freeze everytime I tried. This shouldn't have made any diff, but it looks like it did.

I can't get past product key entry, sometimes it freezes during language selection, sometimes before that.

The disk is also fine. This is the 2nd time I used it and there isn't so much as a scratch or fingerprint on it.
Last edited by PHASESHIFTER on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista freezes during install (within a min)

Postby augie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 pm

That's a tough one. Have you checked your RAM with something like memtest86+ yet? Vista is even more picky than XP in regards to clean RAM. You're right in that your aborted install should not have made a difference. Have you tried to 'factory restore' your hard drive yet using the maker's utilities? A shot in the dark here.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:38 pm

augie wrote:That's a tough one. Have you checked your RAM with something like memtest86+ yet? Vista is even more picky than XP in regards to clean RAM. You're right in that your aborted install should not have made a difference. Have you tried to 'factory restore' your hard drive yet using the maker's utilities? A shot in the dark here.

Hey fellow quebecois.

I have 1G of RAM, and before my old hard drive failed (Seagate,) I had Vista on it and it was working fine.

What did you mean by maker's utilities?
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 am

Well, for Seagate it would be Seatools and for Western Digital DLG(Data Life Guard) etc. Go to the site and it should be in the downloads section.

Hey, welcome aboard. ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Amazingly, I think I just made things worse.

Since I couldn't repartition during a Vista installation from XP'S env. I reinstaled XP and created a bigger partition for Vista, then I ran the Vista install in XP. SUCCESS, it worked, I entered my product key and it went on to the install.

After the 1st reboot........it froze. But here's the best part. Now, If I try to install it or boot my PC wit hVista in the DVD drive, I see the install background screen, then it reboots (yes by itelf), then it goes back to the install background screen then reboots, infinitely............

But I should mention that the Hard drive was out of the box, so I'm not sure how useful a factory restore will be.

Edit:
OMG, scratch that, it goes into infinite reboot with that green install screen wether the Vista disc is in the drive or not. WTF is happening? I think I just got screwed out of a brand new 1T hard drive. I hate vista.
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:36 pm

OMG, scratch that, it goes into infinite reboot with that green install screen wether the Vista disc is in the drive or not. WTF is happening? I think I just got screwed out of a brand new 1T hard drive. I hate vista.

Now, now don't freak out and it's not Vista's fault.;) Make a boot disk with the disk drive tools of your choice, change your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD and let it do it's thing. There are always DOA's even if they are rare these days.

At this point I have to ask you, is your Vista disc a personally burnt one?

Community Director

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 pm

augie wrote:

Now, now don't freak out and it's not Vista's fault.;) Make a boot disk with the disk drive tools of your choice, change your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD and let it do it's thing. There are always DOA's even if they are rare these days.

At this point I have to ask you, is your Vista disc a personally burnt one?

It is a genuine version. The reason I did all that was because booting from the disc didn't work. This was an OS install from a brand new HD, so I had to set my DVD as 1st boot device. At this point, I don't see what more I could do.
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:54 am

Well, maybe your DVD drive is faulty. I had one where CD's were fine but DVD's had issues. This is due to there being two lasers in there, it's either dirty or faulty IMO. Try it in another machine. Anyways, they're quite inexpensive these days.

Community Director

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:19 am

augie wrote:Well, maybe your DVD drive is faulty. I had one where CD's were fine but DVD's had issues. This is due to there being two lasers in there, it's either dirty or faulty IMO. Try it in another machine. Anyways, they're quite inexpensive these days.

All other DVDs always worked fine. Though I wouldn't mind cleaning it but I have no idea how.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:15 am

Have you tried to use the startup repair function when you get to the install screen? I would use tools like chkdsk. You can also use diskpart to see if there is anything on the disk. I would use diskpart to format it while I was in the repair console then try again. :yesnod:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 6465(WS.10).aspx
VP - Software

Next

Return to General Windows Support