A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista/Win 7 Dual Boot Problem

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista/Win 7 Dual Boot Problem

Postby craigtm » Sat May 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Vista is installed on an IDE master drive,and Win 7 on an SATA drive. When I boot I get a "Boot disk failure,insert system disk and press enter" message. When I do this the Windows Manager loads and I can boot to either OS normally.When I try to boot with the Win 7 drive disconnected I get the same message and and must insert the disk to boot. I have tried all the standard repair methods to no avail. I used Dual-Boot Pro to reinstall BCD to the Vista drive but no luck with that either. Disk info shows the Vista partition as "System,Boot,etc" but the Win 7 partition shows only as Primary.Should both drives show as System? Is this a hardware problem as Microsoft support says? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
PRO New Member

Re: Vista/Win 7 Dual Boot Problem

Postby shreader » Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm

You most probably have to set the SATA drive as a IDE drive in your BIOS & just leave them both plugged in.

Why are you disconnecting the Windows 7 (SATA) drive BTW?