A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista Retail VS Vista OEM Whats the difference?

Vista Retail VS Vista OEM Whats the difference?

Postby cnmsales » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:18 am

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

Today Vista launches. I've received a number of e-mails from readers looking for more information on the black arts of the OEM edition, so here it is: my brief introduction to everything you need to know before going OEM.
What is OEM?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, and most often refers to the likes of Dell or Gateway. At least originally, "OEM versions" of products were usually the same products that you'd find at retail, but with no-frills packaging, reduced support, and sometimes lesser warranties.

When it comes to Windows, "OEM editions" most often refer to the cheaper versions of Windows made available to "system builders" and other classes of Microsoft partners. You can buy OEM versions of Windows online almost any place that sells software, such as NewEgg. Companies keep compliant with Microsoft's rules by bundling OEM versions with a token piece of hardware, like a cable. Here's a glimpse of current OEM pricing:

* Vista Home Basic $99 (full version retail: $199)
* Vista Home Premium: $119 (full version retail: $239)
* Vista Business: $149 (full version retail: $299)
* Vista Ultimate $199 (full version retail: $399)

As a general rule, OEM software is usually much cheaper than full retail copies, but only slightly cheaper than retail upgrades. Vista upgrade pricing, plus a word or three on the limitations of the upgrade versions, can be found here.
Can I buy OEM?

Yes, you can. Microsoft licenses OEM software to "system builders," which the license defines as "an original equipment manufacturer, or an assembler, reassembler, or installer of software on computer systems" (emphasis added). You can install software on computers, right?

When asked, Microsoft says that OEM software is not intended to be installed by end users. Off the record, Microsoft spokespeople have told me that the big concern in Redmond is for Joe Newbie. They don't want inexperienced users buying OEM software, but the fact of the matter is that anyone can buy OEM versions of Windows.

Truth be told, Microsoft is not opposed to the practice. Rather, the company says that people who purchase OEM software will simply be expected to abide by the terms of the licensing agreements.
What's missing from the OEM version?

When you buy OEM, you need to understand what you're getting.

OEM editions of Windows don't come in pretty boxes, nor do they include manuals. Of course, a real "manual" hasn't shipped with Windows for over a decade, and chances are, if you're interested in OEM software, you don't need what passes for a manual these days, anyway (and no, I was never satisfied by the pre-Win95 manuals, either). And the pretty box... well, that's not really worth much anyway, is it? Rest assured, though: the software on the disc is the same as that found in any retail edition.

There are some gotchas, though. OEM software cannot be returned once opened. There are no exceptions. You open it, you've bought it.

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Nevertheless, I've known users who got around this limitation by calling Microsoft and reporting that their motherboards died when they wanted to build a new computer. It is Microsoft's policy to allow motherboard swaps in instances where a system is defective or has suffered a hardware failure. But you shouldn't bank on this approach; there's no guarantee it will work and, well, liars don't get ice cream. Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.

Then there's support. Technically, OEM versions of Windows get first-tier support from the system builders who put the OEM software on your machine. In the case of Mom & Pop Computers, that means M&P is your first support hit. In the case of you buying OEM software for yourself, technically this means that you're your own support. What does this really mean? Retail Vista comes with 90 days of free support. OEM edition users don't get that, but paid support is still an option, should you need it.
The sum difference

Should you consider OEM software? I've outlined the issues, now it's up to you. Just keep in mind one thing: Microsoft has shown renewed interest in enforcing the terms of its licenses, and the technology that helps the company do so is getting more pervasive, and smarter.
PRO Level 3

Postby Cornflake » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:26 am

Thanks you so much for this post, cnmsales. Many of us here have been wondering what the differences will be between OEM, Retail, and Upgrade. It turns out that Upgrade installs require XP to be installed in the first place, so there's no 'clean' install. After hearing what the OEM is about, it actually sounds like that's much better than the Upgrade versions. For such a cut in price, there's hardly a reason to not get OEM if you don't want to pay for the full.

-Thanks again!
PRO Level 15

Postby augie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:20 am

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Ya, just saw that on the site that I buy my stuff from. It seems overly tyrannical IMO. C'mon, you have to convince MS that you got or have a bad mobo? and they don't have to honour it? As much as I like Vista, this is getting too muddled. I'll wait before buying it. I think they are are going to alienate a lot of folk. XP is good enough for me ATM.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby cnmsales » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:22 am

The OEM rules dont apply to just vista, im pretty sure its standard practice for OEM software.
PRO Level 3

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:22 am

You know this is gonna start encouraging piracy rather than deter it... I jcan just feel it in my bones.
PRO Level 15

Postby Cornflake » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:48 pm

Tied to the motherboard? I've activated my OEM copy of XP Home dozens of times, it just required I had to call MS every time and talk to the automated woman who have me the install ID :)

It's funny, after I took out the original motherboard for my OEM of XP Home, it actually activated on the internet first try! MS isn't scaring my by tying it to the motherboard... It doesn't work as they describe in the 'terms'

I suspect vista to be similar.

Computerwiz2489 wrote:You know this is gonna start encouraging piracy rather than deter it... I jcan just feel it in my bones.

Just a note on this... I don't think it's going to be that encouraging because I hear that there's still alot of Beta builds of Vista floating around... and since Ultimate installs every other version, there's a big mess as far as downloadable versions of Vista goes. They don't know which end is up, and they did it to themselves!
PRO Level 15

Postby user_user77 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:02 pm

Computerwiz2489 wrote:You know this is gonna start encouraging piracy rather than deter it... I jcan just feel it in my bones.

here here!

the only reason stopping me from getting a pirate version is, um....well. nothing! infact ms are, as you said, encouraging this.

but alas! ms already have my money for vista. the scumbags.
PRO Level 4

Return to General Windows Support