A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista Premium and MCE 2005 Dual Boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista Premium and MCE 2005 Dual Boot

Postby dwhthompson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Hello:

I installed vista premium on my pc yesterday running XP Media Center Edition 2005. I left MCE 2005 in its own partition and created and installed vista in a second partition of my 250 GB SATA drive.

Vista bootloader failed to find my MCE 2005 installation, and after an hour of fiddling with BCDedit, I downloaded the Vista Boot Pro.

After creating a legacy windows boot option in the bootloader in Vista Boot Pro, I restarted the box and attempted to boot MCE 2005 but was told that /ntldr was missing.

I then reinserted my MCE 2005 disk and fixed the boot and MCE 2005 booted fine. I then inserted the vista disk again, repaired the boot and once again tried to boot into MCE from vista bootloader but again was told that /ntldr could not be found.

Has anyone else had this issue ... or know how it can be resolved?

Cheers.

David
PRO New Member

Postby shteinb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:24 pm

Yes. Simply boot into Vista and put in the XP cd. Take the ntldr file from the i386 directory on the XP cd. Copy it into the partition MCE is on. MCE will begin to boot fine. Do not run the XP repair or Vista repair wizards.
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:19 am

Please post an image of your Disk Management.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems