A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista on Sata / Wanting to Install XP IDE drive for Dual Boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby pipa » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:25 pm

hi everyone....new here not sure if i should be using this box.... I have a question ref dual os macjhine.... I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium... My old PC had XP but Mother board died... so I would like to add the old HDD with xp on it and install into my new vista machine.... hopefully i will then be able to swap between either XP or vista at will. So setup will be Vista PC with SATA HDD with VISTA and older IDE HDD with XP on it. I tried just putting in the IDE HDD and then set jumper to master.... Bios sees both drives... the new SATA and my old IDE but when I boot... i get eventually get message ref "please insert disk into CD drive" (something like this cannot quote exactly) Am I too nieve here?.... is it not so simple....? :embarrassed:

Any thoughts....
Thanks Pipa
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 pm

pipa,

First I am splitting this thread so you can have one of your own.

Second.....

Maybe you can do it. And we have a Guide here to help you with this. Here is the link to the guide.

Now also keep in mind that you are mixing Sata and IDE drives and there are issues with this. All you can do is try the installation to see what happens

EDIT: BTW Welcome to PROnet, drop by our Introduction Area for a warm welcome.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby pipa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi NT50 great response... many thanks for your attention to my issue.

cant believe it ! :() Will read up on the thread... and report back...

If I understand correctly???? when implemented... it will be a matter of going into the bios to tell the computer which disk/operating system to boot from.... not actually from an already booted op system.... ie if for example i have already booted into XP then there is a command or instruction to tell the cpu to go to the other drive? Hope I am not too confuding here...? I dont mind having to go into bios everytime i want to change op system... cause I'm guessing that over time I will end up using vista more than xp and eventually be using only Vista.... I see it as a transition for the time being....

Again many thanks....
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:56 pm

pipa wrote:Hi NT50 great response... many thanks for your attention to my issue.

cant believe it ! :() Will read up on the thread... and report back...

If I understand correctly???? when implemented... it will be a matter of going into the bios to tell the computer which disk/operating system to boot from.... not actually from an already booted op system.... ie if for example i have already booted into XP then there is a command or instruction to tell the cpu to go to the other drive? Hope I am not too confuding here...? I dont mind having to go into bios everytime i want to change op system... cause I'm guessing that over time I will end up using vista more than xp and eventually be using only Vista.... I see it as a transition for the time being....

Again many thanks....

Optimally, you should have a boot screen with options to either boot XP or Vista with no additional intervention by you. I had an unsuccessful attempt at this when I bought a SATA to add to my old IDE. I hope you have a different outcome. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby pipa » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi Augie..... ok thanks for your input... I will keep u posted on my tribulations.... Have been trying some things without much luck.... now for instance I cant see my DVD drive... so never straight forward....

Again cheers for your thoughts...
Pipa...
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems