A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista install lost my XP partition - no dual boot option (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista install lost my XP partition - no dual boot option (Resolved)

Postby thaidog » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:54 am

I installed Vista on a dual partition / dual boot system... one partition is XP one is Vista.

When Vista finished it left out the XP entry.... therefore I can not dual boot. The Vista recovery program does not see the XP install but the partition is untouched.

The XP partition is the first part of the C drive, the Vista the second half.

How do I get the bootloader to see the first drive?

[color=red]Edit NT50: Changed Subject Line to Resolved
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! Please post a screenshot of your disk mgmt console from Vista; also look at your Vista drive letter; look for a folder called Windows.old and let us know if it exists
PRO PLATINUM

Postby SmokeYou » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:34 pm

use a partition manager like artition magic and set c as a primary instead of a logical. see if that helps
PRO Level 11

Postby The Phoenix » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:56 pm

No, don't use a Third Party Partition Manager, they don't support Vista and will break your install, see the thread below which is an official PROnetworks Guide.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84455
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby thaidog » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 pm

I reinstalled XP on the VIsta partition and then installed Vista back over it... now I'm ok.

It turned out it was because I had Linux installed orginally with the grub bootloader and Vista did not like that.h
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems