A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista Home Premium 32 won't boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista Home Premium 32 won't boot

Postby raiden1701 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 am

My Vista installation didn't startup one day after I installed Quicktax, it would just show the mobo splash screen, the POST info and then would just go black and freeze. It had been slowing down for a week or so then quit after I installed Quicktax. When I tried Safe Mode, it would load half of the files and freeze (on the screen showing the initial files loading). So I put in my full Vista installation disk and repaired a bunch of times to the point where the PC would show the Vista loading screen (the green moving bar), then black, then black with a movable mouse cursor and it would stop there (frozen but the mouse cursor still moved). And Safe Mode would load the files then freeze on a black screen. I loaded my Vista disk and ran the Command Prompt, got to my c:\ and typed in:

bootrec /RebuildBcd

The PC asks if I should add "D:\Old Data\Windows" to the list and I say yes

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot

and tried repairing again with the Vista disk. Now the PC is saying BOOTMGR is missing and I try typing in the same commands again and the same BOOTMGR is missing. My Vista installation is on C:\Windows so I don't know what this D:\Old Data\Windows is. When I load the Vista disk it now shows that Vista is on (D:). Is it actually on D:\ now? Or does that matter?

I really don't want to format cause I have a ton of programs and I haven't exported any of the settings. If I could do that just from plugging in my hard drive to a USB port on my other PC then I would just reformat it, but I'll just loose a lot of programs that I need the settings for.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista Home Premium 32 won't boot

Postby shreader » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 am

Can you do a system restore from a point before you installed Quicktax?
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems