A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista Home Prem 32 bit and Win 7 Pro 64 bit boot error

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista Home Prem 32 bit and Win 7 Pro 64 bit boot error

Postby dfwtx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 am

I have a two boot system with two distinctly different drives - one for Vista Home Prem 32 bit and a second one for Win 7 Pro 64-bit system. The Win 7 was JUST upgraded by Windows Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Prem 64 bit to Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit; followed by a further upgrade to Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

I purchased DualBoot Pro attempting to install a boot menu for both OS's. Instead, it ALLOWS my Vista 32 bit to boot (default and initial pre-installed drive;) a second item, identified as the Vista 32 bit recovery boot (although I've not tried this one;) but no possible boot to the Win 7 Pro 64-bit system...no matter what I have tried...even after reading the helps and FAQs. It appears it cannot find the drive with the Win 7 bootloader (if that's what it's called) and there is only ONE partition for the Win 7 HD.

I am able to boot to either harddrive on "intial" computer startup or restart (in my case, using the F-12 key) when I "select" one drive or the other from a list. However, if I use the created menu with DualBoot, the Win 7 selection goes to an erroneous error; apparently not able to find the Win 7 drive (under Vista 32, the Win 7 drive is recognized as "I-drive." Of course, when I am in Win 7, it's recognized as the "C-drive.")

I read all about dual boots when you "first" install Win 7 from scratch but this isn't my case...it's an upgrade...thoughts, suggestions or ideas? Thanks...
PRO New Member

Re: Vista Home Prem 32 bit and Win 7 Pro 64 bit boot error

Postby shreader » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am

You can try repairing the boot manager by booting from the Win7 DVD & choosing startup repair.
Software Director

Postby dfwtx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Thank you...I did try that but there was no affect.

Again, it seems that the Vista 32 bit side cannot find a Win 7 "bootloader." I am not certain that's what it's called. By default, it'll boot to the Vista 32 HD but no matter what I've done, the Win 7 Pro 64 HD is not recognized for booting from the created menu item...more thoughts or suggestions?

If I can't get it to work, I suspect I'll have to request a refund (if that's possible?)
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Sometimes what I suggested has to be run twice to work.

Try this then W/ DBP go to:
Make sure all the drives are plugged in.
System bootloader tab
Check the windows Vista or Windows7 button
& All Drives
Install Bootloader
Restart the PC
Software Director

Postby dfwtx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks...

I did try your suggestion AND from both drives this time -- that is, both from the Vista 32 AND the Win 7 Pro 64 OS/HDs. The Win 7 side did indeed install a bootloader (and menu) and then I further installed a second boot for the Vista 32...all works THERE on this second drive (the Win 7-64 OS.)

However, the Vista 32 drive (which is the original HD and installed OS) still does not allow me to boot to Win 7 on the second installed drive. Here's what I get: Error code 0xc0000428 - "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file." This is what I have seen throughout on the Vista 32 HD, whenever I attempt to boot to Windows 7 Professional. It further states that I can temporarily disable this function but that sounds just a bit dangerous in the long run.

But, indeed, the DualBootPro created a new boot menu for my second HD with the Win 7 Pro 64 OS, as the default, but I can only get to this HD and OS by using my system's boot manager (F12.)

Further thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks for all your help thus far...
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems