A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista and Xp woes...

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista and Xp woes...

Postby xylefone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:52 am

I've read and tried the advice from most posts here, regaurding my situation, but to no avail.

Vista is on C:
XP is on D:

Vista loads just fine, but XP refuses to be recognized.

Here's my Detailed View:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {ntldr}
displayorder {ntldr}
{current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=D:
path \ntldr
description XP

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {19e4fe3d-c7e5-11db-947c-f29933ffce73}
nx OptIn
custom:47000005 301989892

It gives the error:
ntldr cannot be found
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:36 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! I moved your topic here as this is not an issue with our VistaBootPRO program; It appears your XP and Vista entries are pointing to C: drive............. not good. Please post a screenshot of your Disk Mgmt from Vista and we'll see what's up. Enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby xylefone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 am

kd1966 wrote:Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! I moved your topic here as this is not an issue with our VistaBootPRO program; It appears your XP and Vista entries are pointing to C: drive............. not good. Please post a screenshot of your Disk Mgmt from Vista and we'll see what's up. Enjoy the site!

I've spent at least 3 hours trying to fix this, but I must admit I'm a bit frustrated. :-x

I'm still able to boot the individual OS'es by using Bootloader "restore legacy OS"... but yeah it's annoying to have to do. And the funny thing is with as much time as I've spent trying to 'fix' it... I could have saved time by just installing/unintalling the bootloader.

Also, I guess I should reiterate that Vista is on C, and XP on D.
They are seperate HD's (not that it makes much difference?)

Any help is greatly appreciated! :yesnod:

[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/196/xylefonefubardrivesmu1.th.jpg]
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:43 am

Are both physical HDD's IDE?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby xylefone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:45 am

kd1966 wrote:Are both physical HDD's IDE?

Yep, I'll upload a SS of the XP DiskM in.. uno momento.
PRO New Member

Postby xylefone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:52 am

Here's the XP Disk Manager screenshot, and proof that I've followed instructions from a previous post. I'm tryin here! HALP LOL!

:lol:

Last edited by xylefone on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:02 am

Ok, I would interpret this as one of those little " idiosyncrasies" in some MOBO hardware......... my personal suggestion:

Boot to Vista; run VistaBootPRO 3.1 and uninstall the Vista bootloader; open a command prompt in Vista (As Admin) and go to \windows\system32
then type the command: bootsect.exe /nt52 /all /force

This will force all partitions to boot earlier OS's than Vista (XP in your case) Then restart your system and it should boot to XP without any Vista boot menu, and then you will run VistaBootPRO 3.1 again in XP and REINSTALL the Vista bootloader and restart.

This should resolve your dual boot issue
PRO PLATINUM

Postby xylefone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 am

kd1966 wrote:Ok, I would interpret this as one of those little " idiosyncrasies" in some MOBO hardware......... my personal suggestion:

Boot to Vista; run VistaBootPRO 3.1 and uninstall the Vista bootloader; open a command prompt in Vista (As Admin) and go to \windows\system32
then type the command: bootsect.exe /nt52 /all /force

This will force all partitions to boot earlier OS's than Vista (XP in your case) Then restart your system and it should boot to XP without any Vista boot menu, and then you will run VistaBootPRO 3.1 again in XP and REINSTALL the Vista bootloader and restart.

This should resolve your dual boot issue

I followed every step, although it seems to have no effect. For some reason, it cannot seem to find the ntldr.

Edit:
But how is that when I uninstall the Bootloader that I default back to XP?
The Master drive is set to the 40G (crappy) XP installation(question answered?), but for some reason I'm unable to change that in the BIOS settings.

So, I suppose I'm missing a bit of logic here(amongst other things :embarrassed: ) ...
I was under the impression from reading other posts, that VistaBoot is based more around the XP system to run, in order to straighten things out. IE, Boot folder being copied to the XP main directory. As of this point, I have VistaBootPro on both HD's, and my only means of swapping OS'es is by uninstalling the Bootloader to restore the Legacy OS boot.

Essentially, I'm wanting to make Vista my primary boot. And on my left foot... good ol' bug free (for the most part) XP.

Side note:
I'm shocked that Microsoft hasn't already implemented a boot sequence for newcomer Vista users, knowing that many will prefer to keep a partition/drive with XP still running.
Also, has anyone else noticed how Vista chugs memory like a boss hog? Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine, and the more I switch back to my XP OS, it makes me have more appreciation for it. Love the functional speech recognition for handsfree 'lazyman' browzing!
The only problem is, some of my older programs no longer function, which is another "tech nightmare" wrapped around deeper nightmares

And still, I greatly appreciate anyone who could offer advice as to my boot situation.

Not sure if this is of any consequence, but I'm using a Gigabyte mobo with a dual AMD.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 pm

Really, the issue is with your XP setup, as it is not using your drive zero as the System drive.

Ideally, your system should have been set up by plugging the crappy 40 GB hard drive in only, ensuring that it's at the end of the IDE ribbon and that the jumper is set to Master (unless it is one of those awful cable select jobs)

Install XP to that drive.

Then plug the second drive in, as Slave.

You should then have been able to run Vista setup from within Windows, choosing clean install to the other drive. This time though, it may be possible to reinstall XP as above, then install VistaBootPRO in XP, use it to reinstall the Vista bootloader, and create an entry for Vista pointing to your drive letter for the Vista drive in XP.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm

BTW, having the 40 GB job as Master not Slave will not adversely affect your Vista experience.
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems