A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Virtual Server help

Postby TV-VCR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Absolute-Zero wrote:I'm guessing you're replacing "FQDN" in the example above with the name of the machine you're trying to connect to? FQDN just stands for Fully Qualified Domain Name (www.pronetworks.org, for example).

If Virtual Server is running on the machine you're actually using, you could always try connecting via http://127.0.0.1:1024/VirtualServer/VSWebApp.exe

If that doesn't work, make sure all the Virtual Server services are started and, as a last resort, run the installation executable again. It should detect that VS2005 is already installed and prompt you to either Modify, Repair or Remove the installation. Choosing Repair should copy back all the required services, files and libraries and restore VS2005 back to it's default state.

Yeah, the server is running on this machine. Tried that, didn't work... what are all of the services associated with Virtual Server 2005 R2? I can't find a list or anything.
Intel D975XBX2, GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB (2 sticks) Memory, Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 SATA HDDs
PRO Level 7

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Try opening the IIS admin console and checking to see whether or not you can access the Admin Website via that. Or just try browsing to localhost, see what comes up.

The VS2005 services tend to either have Virtual Server in their title or description, I couldn't tell you, off hand, what they are.

As I say, the other option is to either repair or reinstall VS2005 if you can't get it to work at all.
PROfessional Member

Postby TV-VCR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Absolute-Zero wrote:Try opening the IIS admin console and checking to see whether or not you can access the Admin Website via that. Or just try browsing to localhost, see what comes up.

The VS2005 services tend to either have Virtual Server in their title or description, I couldn't tell you, off hand, what they are.

As I say, the other option is to either repair or reinstall VS2005 if you can't get it to work at all.

This is what happens when I browse to localhost:

I've tried reinstalling Server 2005 to no avail. It doesn't work on another install of windows I have on here, so I'm doing something wrong.
Intel D975XBX2, GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB (2 sticks) Memory, Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 SATA HDDs
PRO Level 7

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Okay, at least we know IIS is working. I guess you're running this from within Vista, yes, not Server 2k8?

Try using the following link...

http://127.0.0.1/VirtualServer/VSWebApp.exe

...it's the same link but without the ":1024" port designation. IIS, when run on a workstation, doesn't allow for the creation of multiple virtual sites so it just places everything in a virtual directory under the Default website. This runs, by default, on standard port 80.
PROfessional Member

Postby TV-VCR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Absolute-Zero wrote:Okay, at least we know IIS is working. I guess you're running this from within Vista, yes, not Server 2k8?

Try using the following link...

http://127.0.0.1/VirtualServer/VSWebApp.exe

...it's the same link but without the ":1024" port designation. IIS, when run on a workstation, doesn't allow for the creation of multiple virtual sites so it just places everything in a virtual directory under the Default website. This runs, by default, on standard port 80.

WOO! It works! Finally! ^*^

Thanks for your help yeshuas and Absolute-Zero :notworthy

EDIT: Strike that. I can't get the dang administration site to work. It won't load in internet explorer (loads for infinity, while multiple "Internet Explorer has stopped working" windows keep popping up every 30 seconds or so). In firefox it loads, but it's broken. Links don't work and I can't input anything.

@#$%&@#%@&$@%#@$$
PRO Level 7

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:58 am

TV-VCR wrote:
EDIT: Strike that. I can't get the dang administration site to work. It won't load in internet explorer (loads for infinity, while multiple "Internet Explorer has stopped working" windows keep popping up every 30 seconds or so). In firefox it loads, but it's broken. Links don't work and I can't input anything.

@#$%&@#%@&$@%#@$$

EXACTLY what i get.. lmao
PRO Level 15

Postby TV-VCR » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:12 am

c0ldfyr3 wrote:
TV-VCR wrote:

@#$%&@#%@&$@%#@$$

EXACTLY what i get.. lmao

Why microsoft... why must you do this to us :cry:
PRO Level 7

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:11 am

That's why I use VMWare. I tried to install Virtual Server on my machine last night but it kept getting to 80% installed and then rolling back!

I'll have a dig around, see what I can find out!

Edit:- Just to confirm, you guys are installing Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1, yes?
PROfessional Member

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:17 am

Okay, first up, here's a tutorial on installing VS2005 in Vista. Seems you need to customise the install of IIS to get it to run properly. The other main point he makes is that you must run the browser as Administrator, otherwise it won't work.
PROfessional Member

Postby TV-VCR » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:42 pm

D'oh... I ran IE7 as admin and now the site works. But now I'm getting this error:
The following error occurred:
The default virtual machine configuration directory could not be retrieved. User does not have sufficient access rights.

Um... I don't think I can upgrade my rights anymore...?
PRO Level 7

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech Chat