A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VBP on XP Pro - BCD reg Missing or Corrupt - Vista ins 1st

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VBP on XP Pro - BCD reg Missing or Corrupt - Vista ins 1st

Postby macthetiger » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 pm

XP Pro 32 SAT primary drive 9 (active), Vista 64 SAT second drive - not second partition. VistaBootPro reports BCD registry is either corrupt or missing when launched. What does this mean and how to I fit it?
Last edited by macthetiger on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPro on XP Pro - BCD registry is missing or corrupt

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

See if this helps you: bcd-registry-missing-or-corrupt-error-t99928.html

Does VistaBootPRO work after that error message?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby macthetiger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 am

No that article does not help. I cannot do anything with VistaPro on the XP side. Everything I click on in VistaPro results in the BCD registry missing or corrupt error. None of the pull downs show XP or Vista.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:04 am

Where are the Vista boot system files...are they on the root of the Vista installation drive/partition or are they on the XP installation drive/partition?

The boot system files for both XP and Vista need to be on the root of the drive/partition tagged (System) in Disk Management. You'll need to have folder options>view set to show hidden files and folders and not to hide protected operating system files to be be able to see them. They are the folder Boot and the file bootmgr for Vista and the files boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM for XP. You can copy and paste the missing ones to there if that is applicable and that should get rid of your error message.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby macthetiger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:10 am

XP is on the primary SATA drive and Vista on the second SATA drive not multiple partitions of the same physical drive. Most discussions here revolve around moving XP files to Vista, I need it the other way around. So what do I copy from Disk1 (Vista) to Disk 0 (XP) and has this been tested by anyone.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:28 am

Grav!ty wrote:The boot system files for both XP and Vista need to be on the root of the drive/partition tagged (System) in Disk Management. You'll need to have folder options>view set to show hidden files and folders and not to hide protected operating system files to be be able to see them. They are the folder Boot and the file bootmgr for Vista and the files boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM for XP. You can copy and paste the missing ones to there if that is applicable and that should get rid of your error message.

It won't hurt to have all these files on both drives/partitions. Note I've said drives/partitions.

PROfessional Member

Postby macthetiger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 am

If I bring the Vista boot directory over to XP how is VistaPro going to know to launch Vista off the second drive? Does the Vista Winloader.exe need to brought over to XP as well and will there be any issues booting a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit OS? I can see how this differs greatly from Boot Magic which uses a small lynux partition and makes booting transparent to the OS being booted.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:11 am

See this guide for some direction: Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

VistaBootPRO is NOT a boot manager...it's a user interface to bcdedit.exe, bootsect.exe and a few other tools built into Microsoft Windows Vista. Hope that helps you understand what it's all about. We have in the region of 2.5 million to 3 million users judging by the number of downloads we've had and you can be sure there are users amongst those with the same drive configuration as you...including me :)

Please let us know how you get along.

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:17 am

Oh yeah, you can also try running a startup repair by booting to your Vista DVD and select Repair my Computer at the Install now setup screen and then Startup Repair from the menu that appears.

By the way if you are using Boot Magic that probably explains your error message as it is known that Vista doesn't play nice with third party partition and boot managers.

PROfessional Member

Postby macthetiger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:37 am

I abandon Boot Magic, bundled with PM 8, when I found it had a 128gb boundary limit when the BM partition was located "past" this boundary, bootmagic.img not found upon re-boot. PT1 150gb XP, PT2 100mb BM, PT3 150gb data. There has also been much blog that Symantec has pretty much abandon future enhancements for BM and of course world famous non-existent support Symantec offers everyone.

It is late to try this tonight could you please explain how VistaPro works from the XP side? Does it write something to the XP boot.ini file to get Vista to boot directly or does it modify boot.ini to point to the Vista boot folder that was copied from Vista to XP then launch Vista from the Vista boot loader folder on the XP drive?

I ask because I am also looking to launch OS 7 from the second drive, second partition, but again all from the XP primary.
Last edited by macthetiger on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to PRO Software