A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unable to install XP after Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Unable to install XP after Vista

Postby TabsAZ » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey guys,

Here's the situation - I have twin 250GB SATA drives. I have Vista HP installed on the first one and would like to put XP Pro on the 2nd to have until Nvidia gets their act together and makes drivers that can run games smoothly... I know the preferred order is XP then Vista, but I want Vista on the first drive because I plan to remove XP as soon as the driver situation makes it feasible to do...

Here's what I tried last night:

1. Booted off the XP CD and went through the normal install, choosing the 2nd drive to install to.
2. At the first reboot after installing everything, the system is just hanging right at the point where it tries to initialize the boot loader, it doesn't get back to the next phase of the XP setup.
3. I repaired the Vista boot loader by running off the Vista DVD and then tried to use VBP to add XP, hoping that selecting it in the menu would allow me to boot to the next phase of setup and continue it - I get an error right after selecting it though that says ntldr can't be found, presumably because it doesn't put that part of the loader in until later in the install?

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do here? I really don't want to have to format the Vista drive and reinstall since I've already got it set up the way I like...

Thanks!
Ryan
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 am

Can you boot to one of the OSes and go into Disk Manager and give us a snap shot of your drives and partitions. We need to know which is your system drive.

Also, did the XP installation go completely?
If not we need to get your XP installed, the do a Vista boot repair, then make sure certain files are on the system drive, and use VistaBootPro to make sure the rest is ok.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems