A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unable to dualboot XP/Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:19 am

First of all im grateful for this site. thanks for all your support.
I hope im not thread highjacking but I didnt know whether to create this post here, or start a new one ,as there are alreadyy a lot and i read them and all. But dont know if this is a unique situationg.
NOw I recently installed Vista Ultimate beta 2 on a machine that already had windows xp pro. My set up is below

Xp pro was the first Os and i just partitioned the drive so the last partition would be Vista. I tried to use vbp but it didnt work. I would get the options on bootup and vista worked but xp pro didnt work. So i went in and ran all these commands that i found here :
http://blogs.msdn.com/ben/archive/2007/ ... ation.aspx

but it didnt fix the problem. The only way I can boot to xp pro is if i set vista inactive and set xp pro partition active > after that i can log in fine. is there any way that i can get some help to make this computer see boot up options and so they both can work. I was reading all these bcdedit commands but its not easy to understand. please help. Thanks in advance for your time .
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:41 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! Don't worry, that's why we're here.......... to get you fixed up. From looking at your screenshot, I can't really make a determination of what your setup is. Please post a screenshot of your Disk Mgmt console from XP or Vista (Or both preferably) and let us know how many physical HDD's you have and if they are all IDE/SATA or a mixture of the two. Thanks and enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:25 am

If you can not only provide a screen shot of Disk Manager but also a copy of the entries for VistaBootPro
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:09 am

Ok here it is. here is my current setup with VistaPro I had to add the legacy drive to show what it says. I originally added it but it didnt help. So i removed it. now i added it back. (still didnt help) In order for me to get into windows xp, i have to make that drive active.

There is currently 2 OS(s) installed in the boot manager.
Current timeout before default boots: 10
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry # 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry # 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Microsoft Windows Xp Pro
BCD ID: {a477d570-c9b7-11db-9e28-001422dba32f}
Boot Drive: E:
Windows Drive:
System Bootloader: \ntldr
Windows Directory:

PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:13 am

Determine which driver you are going to make active. When you determine that then we cn get to work on the dual boot hopefully.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 am

Also, the XP entry BCID is corrupt; you need to delete it prior to making a new XP entry

EDIT: And yes; it appears both drives consider themselves the SYSTEM drive when you are booted to each OS............. very peculiar......
Last edited by kd1966 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 am

I would like to have my vista primary or active (default) but as long as I will have choices thats fine.. Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:20 am

Actually it will work either way; having one OR the other as the system drive........ but as your problem shows, you cannot have BOTH drives competing as the System drive and dual boot
PRO PLATINUM

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:24 am

Ok so what do I need to do now? My xp pro is corrupt?
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:02 am

The XP entry in the BCD is corrupt (When Vista is booting, and the Vista boot loader loads the info for both OS's) Typically, the BCID for "Older Windows OS's" should be {ntldr} and NOT a series of numbers/letters.

You said XP was the first OS installed, so let's make that the "System drive"; do this:

- Boot to Vista and run VistaBootPRO 3.1, and then REMOVE the XP entry, and then UNINSTALL the Vista bootloader

- Boot to XP (You should not have to do anything other than wait) and run VistaBootPRO 3.1, run the Diagnostics, then REINSTALL the Vista Bootloader.

Reboot and hopefully you will have your true dual boot
PRO PLATINUM

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems