A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unable to dualboot XP/Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:15 am

ok let me try that. I will be back. thanks
PRO New Member

Postby sothrowedmex » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:35 am

ok i did what you said. I uninistalled the xp pro in the vbp tool, then uninstalled the bootloader, then i rebooted. I got an ntldr because my xp partition was not active, so i logged in to my ERD, went to the partition manager and set it to active. now I am currently in the xp pro partition. Ran the vbp,

I get errors when i try to run the diags.

PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:14 am

By any chance did you use Partiton Magic or Acronis (Or any other 3rd party disk partitioning software) to create your Vista partiton? This really is an oddity I've not seen before. Perhaps you can try to uninstall VistaBootPRO and then reinstall it to see if that helps (In XP)
PRO PLATINUM

Postby sothrowedmex » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:08 am

kd1966 wrote:By any chance did you use Partiton Magic or Acronis (Or any other 3rd party disk partitioning software) to create your Vista partiton? This really is an oddity I've not seen before. Perhaps you can try to uninstall VistaBootPRO and then reinstall it to see if that helps (In XP)

I used paragon Partition manager to partition my disk. this is annoying.im thinking of just wiping the whole drive and just using Vista with no xp although i would like to learn how to dual boot it for future references.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:30 am

Yow ! sounds like you've really been messing about there j/k :lol: :P

IMO, you should DELETE the Vista partition, and run Vista setup from within XP (assuming your XP partition is now correctly defined as the System drive). Vista setup will let you make a new partition.

Kevin is correct in suggesting that current third-party partitioning tools and XP/Vista dual-boot do not mix well ... ;)
PRO VETERAN

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems