A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

UBUNTU Virgin

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: UBUNTU Virgin

Postby augie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I found a page with bios and from what i see it does not allow virtualization which i don't understand because i have Windows 7 on a MS virtual PC now

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... ct=3670001

Ya, same page I found. Are you sure you made an ISO disk as that's the last thing I can think of and it has to be in your optical drive. I'm quite confused now. :confused Anyways, the option if it exists is in the advanced section, I couldn't tell as a few were omitted at the bottom. I'll be off for quite a bit today as I have to get domestic for the lady's return.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:26 pm

sure thing thanks for your time.
I will play about for a while and see what i can find.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 pm

OK, found a BIOS update which states
Improves support for newer processors.
found here but I'm not sure what that means in your case as it's quite vague for a change log.

I take BIOS updates very seriously as a bad burn can leave you with an expensive doorstop! At least e-mail HP first with all your particulars and error messages and see what they have to say about it. The only time I ever updated any mobo BIOS was when I went from a single cored CPU to a dual and I knew that was exactly what I needed to do to get my BIOS to recognize the new chip, I would never do it otherwise.

It's not like a video driver where one can go easily back unless you have something like crash-free BIOS disk that one makes before doing an update, which I don't know.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:07 am

Well Augie i am at the point of tearing my hair outImage
I have tried every way possible to load Ubuntu to the VM but it will not go.
I tried loading from Disk/desktop/files/rar/Iso file and even tried loading all the Ubuntu files one at a time directly from Winrar to a disk but the VM just will not load,so i will scrub everything from the PC (not a format) and start again so you may not see any posts for a while.

The Bios update went OK but still no virtualization so thanks for the effort but it's back to the drawing board.Image
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Well i have spent 24 hour trying to load Ubuntu into virtual but nothing is going to get it up and running.
It has got to be the MOBO but i have no way to change the setting in there, so i have given up for a while and at some later stage will put in a new mobo and another GPU.
For the moment i am producing points so at least we have a decent contribution.
I am a little disappointed but i have also learned a lot (just hope i can remember it all) :bashhead
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Too bad Bill but I know you tried your best! ^*^ Anyways, I hope you took notes.:)

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 pm

The reason i say it has to be the mobo is that it will let me virtualize any MS product but nothing else.
I used Image burn and Ultra Iso to burn to disk or create ISO files but nothing would load,yet i could dual boot Ununtu without any problems but that does not solve the problem.
Any how Augie thanks for your time and effort ,I will now ride off into the sunset. Image
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Any how Augie thanks for your time and effort ,I will now ride off into the sunset.

For now.;)

Community Director

Postby augie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 pm

You sure your VMWare settings are exactly the same as I stated in my VM SMP guide? This is essential! There is another but somewhat %20 slower way as I stated earlier without needing to go through all this really advanced stuff, just somewhat advanced stuff.;) Much easier by far! May as well do this until you can figure out what the heck is plaguing you. %80 is better than %0.0 eh? ;) :) Let me know. :yesnod:

EDIT: I think I'll start writing a simple guide for multi-core CPU console folding with GPU running without all the complicated virtual *nix stuff. May as well get that going now. :yesnod: (Bear with me, it's been a while.)

Another thing that I just thought of as you're new to BIOS and all, and please don't take this the wrong way, once you're into the BIOS do you use the arrow keys to navigate and hit 'enter' when you want to see more details on a certain function? You can always press escape to go back up a level without changing anything. Man, can you at least change the BIOS time? I'm really confused now my friend. :blink

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 pm

OK we have had a little success but not what i wanted.
I managed to load Ubuntu but my system can not run 64bit.
At least i beat this damned PC
Attachments
2009-02-20_175247.jpg
2009-02-20_175247.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing