A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Ubuntu 9.04 Installation Screenshots

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 08, 2009 3:32 am

I figured I'd post these to show just how easy it has become to install Linux. See this link to download Ubuntu 9.04

What really impresses me about the install is that drivers and other bits and pieces required for MY system, are downloaded and installed during setup.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Installation Screenshots

Postby Grav!ty » Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am

For a predominantly Windows user like me, this was a very straight forward and satisfying install experience. There was absolutely no need for any special coding or scripting to get to use the operating system.

Like I've said elsewhere though, it would be nice if a one click executable was developed to install drivers and applications that becomes a "standard" across Linux distributions. Hey maybe there is but I'm just way too much of a Nix novice n00b to know :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Installation Screenshots

Postby gries818 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:18 am

Grav!ty wrote:For a predominantly Windows user like me, this was a very straight forward and satisfying install experience. There was absolutely no need for any special coding or scripting to get to use the operating system.

Like I've said elsewhere though, it would be nice if a one click executable was developed to install drivers and applications that becomes a "standard" across Linux distributions. Hey maybe there is but I'm just way too much of a Nix novice n00b to know :)

Well standard across Linux systems no, but Ubuntu uses the Debian format (.deb) and packages downloaded from the net automatically resolve their dependencies. This works amazing when you are installing stuff when connected to the 'net, but when you aren't - it's hell. To just download from the Ubuntu repositories, go to the Synaptic Package Manager under 'Administration'.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to Other Operating Systems