A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to save to a network drive

Trying to save to a network drive

Postby T-Man1984 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:48 am

Hey all,
I am currently running a HP Home Server. I am hosting my website from the server. Currently I have Dreamweaver installed on the server itself and use Remote Desktop to access and change my site.

However, the server has very little memory and is VERY slow when using dreamweaver.

What I am trying to do is create a mapped drive to my "web" folder on my server "\\HPSERVERLX\Inetpub\web"

It maps the drive, I can go in and open everything. I can edit it. When I try to save it I get this... "You don't have permission to save in this location, contact the network administrator to obtain permission"

I think the issue is under the folder security on the HP Server, I have no way to add my Desktop PC to the allowed users list. When I go to the folder properties>security>select users and groups, the only thing listed under location is the "HPSERVERLX".

Is there a way to add my desktop PC "JDESKTOP" to the server's locations.

I think this is what the problem is. But if anyone knows something easier and better fine by me.

I just want to be able to open, edit, and save files directly to the web folder from my desktop, which is a much faster machine!!

Thanks!
PRO Level 6

Re: Trying to save to a network drive

Postby mnemonicj » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 am

The problem shouldn't be that you Desktop doesn't have access, it may be that you don't have access. You need to give the Administrator of your server full control of that folder in the security settings and then when you map the network drive on your computer, use the "Connect using a different user name" selection. The user name you will use will be the Administrator account of your Home Server which you will type in like this:

User name: HPSERVERLX\Administrator
Password: <Admin's Password>
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:30 am

Your right, it is a permissions issue.
IF I remember right on this, i got rid of my WHS
What ever login you are using on your computer, you will need to assign full right to that folder. For instance....
My desktop user is Jeff
My WHS user is Jeff also
You will need to give Jeff full permissions to that folder.......

Hopefully I remember right and you understand, If I had it in front of me I coudl set it. I did similar when I had mine.

Or you can do as above......
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby T-Man1984 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:00 am

It asks for my username and password to connect as a different user. I enter it like above and it just keeps asking for it over and over.

Finally I get this.

The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password. To connect using a different username and password, first disconnect any existing mapping to this network share.

Sounds like a poorly worded message that means nothing.
PRO Level 6

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:30 am

Well, when there are alternatives to simply mapping network drives, I like to use them because they always end up giving me trouble. Dreamweaver works perfectly with FTP. I'd recommend running an FTP server on the computer as well and connecting to that via Dreamweaver. Might be a slight hassle initially but I find that it's a lot easier to manage in the long run.
PRO BRONZE

Return to General Windows Support