A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to get Vista back

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Trying to get Vista back

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:55 am

LuiePL wrote:I copied the boot folder to the root of the XP drive and did the bootloader. It's still not working. I tried installing the vista bootloader to all drives, the system drive and to both the XP and Vista drives. I unplugged the XP drive from the motherboard and it says that the BOOTMGR could not be found. I am using DualBootPro 1.0.

Luie, is the file bootmgr not on your system at all? If that's the case you are not going to be able to boot Vista without it no matter what we try. You should be able to copy that from the Vista DVD and paste it to the root of the drive tagged (System) as per disk management.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Trying to get Vista back

Postby LuiePL » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:18 pm

I copied the bootmgr file I had on my x64 disc and I was able to get the boot menu. When I tried to boot into Vista, I got the following stop error:

0xc000000f

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I will be picking up the original Vista disk in mid-February, so if it's simply a x64 vs i386 issue, I can wait until then.
-Luie-

Microsoft Certified Professional
PRO Level 3

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems