A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Tripple Boot turns into One Boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Tripple Boot turns into One Boot

Postby hawkdriver » Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I did my homework; xp root directory has all three files mentioned. It also has a copy of bootmgr
Vista root directory has bootmgr, also boot.ini, and a folder Boot with contents (ie. en-us and others.)
win7 root directory has no files mentioned above, but in c:\windows\boot\dvd\pcat\bcd resides.

Sorry but I could not figure out how to send a screen capture of disk managment.I can enumerate them here if I may do so.
PRO Level 3

Postby shreader » Sun May 15, 2011 9:26 pm

hawkdriver wrote:Sorry but I could not figure out how to send a screen capture of disk managment.I can enumerate them here if I may do so.

To take a screenshot use the keyboard "Print Screen" button, to get only the open window hold down the "Alt" key also.
To save it open Start menu/ Paint
Use the Paste button then Save as convient place like your desktop.

To upload the screenshot go to:
http://photobucket.com/
or
http://imageshack.us/
& set-up a account, then browse to your screenshot & upload it.
Copy & paste the image/Url into your post.

Tip dont make the screenshot larger than 700 pix.
Software Director

Postby hawkdriver » Sun May 15, 2011 10:07 pm

PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 am

Now make sure that the hard drive containing Vista is set as the 1st boot HDD in your BIOS. You should be able to enter your BIOS by repeatedly pressing the Del key of your keyboard as your system starts up. Be sure to save your changes if you make any before exiting the BIOS and do not make any changes to you boot HDD priority after that.

Once you've rebooted to Windows 7, install VBP and then in VBP at the Operating Systems page, check your drive lettering to the various operating systems against Disk Management. If there are any OS entries in red, delete them and add new entries. Next go to the System Bootloader page of VBP and reinstall the Windows Vista bootloader>All drives.

Make sure that your boot.ini for XP is correct according to Disk Management and then reboot to test your boot menu entries.

If none of that works for whatever reason, go to VBP and at the Boot Information page, select Detailed View and copy and paste that text information here so that we can see what it says.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby hawkdriver » Mon May 16, 2011 3:01 am

There are no red entries in os manage screen. windows 7 is blue, the other 2 are black
The drive letters in disk mangement match up to the drive letters listed in vbp os drives.
I cannot select a specific hd to boot from. I only have the option of boot order between hd, or cd, or usb.,
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {bf4012c7-9147-11de-bfd1-cd7bd76cbc41}
displayorder {ntldr}
{current}
{8c384823-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=E:
path \ntldr
description XP PROFESSIONAL

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {bf4012c9-9147-11de-bfd1-cd7bd76cbc41}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {bf4012c7-9147-11de-bfd1-cd7bd76cbc41}
nx OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {8c384823-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista Home Premium
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {8c384824-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
nx OptIn
I wanted to send this screen shot prior to reloading the bootloader in vbp.
Hope this sheds some light on things, hawkdriver
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 am

Did you reinstall the Vista bootloader in VBP, check your boot.ini and then test your boot menu entries?

The BCD information you posted above seems as it should be.

Do you have a Vista DVD from which you can run a startup repair?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby hawkdriver » Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Hello; I tried all your instructions; Still unable to boot into vista and xp; I will try to obtain a vista dvd to attempt a vista startup repair. I do have an xp dvd and will try a startup repair with it. Can you suggest a way to read the boot.ini file, so I can post it here. Regards; hawkdriver.
PRO Level 3

Postby hawkdriver » Tue May 17, 2011 1:38 am

Found a way to post boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 am

The boot.ini looks fine according to disk management.

By the way did you have all drives plugged in when you reinstalled Windows 7?

We can try deleting and rebuilding your BCD next, but if that doesn't work then I'm totally beyond whats actually going on with your systems drive configuration or whatever it is that is preventing a multi boot being set up. Are you getting any error messages when you try to boot to Vista or XP?

PROfessional Member

Postby hawkdriver » Tue May 17, 2011 6:14 pm

I agree it is baffling. Disk 1 was present when win7 was reinstalled. Magically, it turned from an indicted un authentic version overnight to an authentic version today. Never the less, when I boot into xp the splash screen for xp appears and then it goes blue screen saying pc will shut down to protect...
When booting into vista it initially asks if i want to do a repair, which when chosen, doesn't work and returns to the boot menu. Select vista and a blue scren appears saying " page_fault_in_unpaged-area, and does a memory crash dump and waits to be restarted. the stop error in vista is 0x00000050;
It appears that we are close to running out of options. I dread the work ahead of me but what other choice is there. Regards, hawkdriver. by the way how do I rebuild bcd, from within win7 repair recovery dvd or otherwise.?
PRO Level 3

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems