A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

To Test If Port 80 Is Open

Postby s. sengupta » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:23 am

If my home page opens in the browser, port 80 is open. If the connection timed out, traffic through port 80 may be blocked.That's it.Port 80 is reserved for incoming http requests, and a client will never bind to it.
Netstat shows you that your server has many threads waiting for input on port 80.
PRO Level 15

Postby Weaver » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:47 am

The problem that we are having here sits in our verbage. When you say open, I think of the typical way an "open port" is referred to, a local port being open. This is the industry standard interpretation as well.

I understand what you mean Som, in the future it would be wise to insert a snippet about Port 80 being "filtered" or "firewalled" or "on an ACL (Access Control List)", not "Open". Open generally refers to local ports. I hope we are at a mutual understanding.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby s. sengupta » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:56 am

Thanks Weaver. :yesnod:
Still who are interested to check the port:
visit> http://www.myserver.org/portsniff.asp. Just submit the port and wait for the result. :yesnod:

PRO Level 15

Postby dlt » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:44 am

Thanks guys, lot of good information here! :yesnod:
I am extraordinary, I am just your ordinary
average every day sane psycho supergoddess
~Liz Phair, Extraordinary~
PROfessional Member

Postby SCJwl » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:19 pm

Wow, that's great stuff guys!
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - myth is more potent than history - dreams are more powerful than facts - hope always triumphs over experience - laughter is the cure for grief - love is stronger than death
Robert Fulghum

PROfessional Member

Postby Tao O'Boogie » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:48 am

Thanks for the advice i followed the link http://www.myserver.org/portsniff.asp. and tested port 80 with this result "Custom Port 80 Server detected and it is publicly accessible. Your ISP is not blocking this port "
I am running Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and have scanned my system with AdAware and SpySweeper.
Do I have a Trojan? Or do I need to "close" this port, if so how can I do this?
My computer is only used at home on a 56k dialup. Sorry if these questions are "newbie" ones :)
Thanks
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
PRO Level 2

Postby SCgone » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:05 am

You will have to make a rule to close the port. Go here and scroll down to the section that deals with "Commumcations Protocols and Ports".

Here
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Tao O'Boogie » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:36 am

Wow that was quick :) Between my last post and this I went to the Symantec Security Check site and it told me that three ports were open 80, 23, and ICMP Ping. They then went on to suggest that I get a firewall, heh!
I'm off to follow that link thanks Bell1
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
PRO Level 2

Postby *Starz* » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:21 am

Tao wrote:I am running Norton Personal Firewall 2003...Symantec Security Check site told me three ports were open...They then went on to suggest that I get a firewall, heh!

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Bell...I have a question for you on this...Using ZAP...I have passed every Port Sniffing test I've taken...However everytime I run my Anti-Trojan ap...The report I receive back is that certain ports are open...How can that be...Confused...as I show up in full stealth mode everywhere else...including the link Som posted.

BTW...I am trojan free.
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:32 am

If anyone would like there machine tested by the best port scanning software available let me know. It will be easiest with a static public IP address. The program I will use is called Nmap, it is unbeatable in regard to port scanning. Heck it even made it into the The Matrix: Reloaded. Trinity runs nmap to showcase her "hacking" abilities. Never post your IP on a public forum, PM me if you are interested.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides