A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Spyware

Postby SCgone » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:51 am

*Starz* wrote:Bell

What did you come up with when you ran the scan...I ran it...and supposedly I have 4 suspicous files...all listed under Windows XP being: Windows 9x, 95, 98 and ME...what the heck are the talking about... :roleeyes :oops:

Well, those are the one's that make me suspecious. I'm still not convinced they're spyware and haven't figured out what they are yet. I honestly haven't spent a lot of time looking at them. I'll have to get back to you on what I think of them. I didn't really let the program Mac posted complete because I have Bulletproof's program that's identical to it and I suspect it's the same program but with a different license. They both found exactly the same thing before I stopped it.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby *Starz* » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:32 am

I just ran the scan and saved the log...didn't want to touch anything...chicken... :P
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Mac33 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:31 pm

Hi losEr
I have noticed recently that indeed AdAware had not been updating their software, and they had suspended any input into their free service. Do not worry about being objective, that is part of what we are all about, and it's good to here other view points, we welcome them. I hope you do try this SpyWare Nuker, or the other one Bulletproof of which Bob speaks about. In my honest opinion, it's the best i have found yet for detecting Spyware.
all the best :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Hate to burst your bubble on this spyware thing

Postby zak2002 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:52 am

I just happened to run across the program spynuker and was astounded at its Hutzpa. I no soonergot the whole page loaded so I cld read it than it automatically downloaded and installed itself. I thought what the... I'll just see what it does. Well it topld me I had alexa and a couple of other things on my pc but wouldn't delete them unless I paid for the program./ Fine I juschecked the location while still in the program. Not only did they not exist, but just for lauughs i fdownloaded it on my other mneachin and it found the same two things that were not there.

A lot has been said about adaware but, I've looked high and low for a replklacement for naught, And motst of wahat I find hasn't been updted for at least 9 monthgs. I have adaware plus and it still roots outmost things . Even has started fixing Xupiter.

The jury is out and I certainly would like to know of another [prgm like adaware so I'd have a backup. but spy buster ain't it.

I could say : Hey spybuster, You are really BUSTED!
PRO New Member

Postby Mac33 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:19 am

Hi zak2002 and welcome to the Pronetworks. Nice to hear from you and i hope you will take your time and have a good look round our forums, i am sure you will find plenty to interest you.
On the other point about Spyware Nuker, i did not find the same problem as yourself. They did not tell me about those two items you mention were on my machine. I checked and found that what they found on my computer was indeed correct, and i now have the full program of which at the moment i am more than happy with.
all the best :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby *Starz* » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:35 pm

Just adding this in here for general information on Adaware...These are two News Articles I posted in December 2002.

"Ad-aware...Dangerous Program?" (Posted Dec. 27, 2002)

http://d5801.u23.htnoc.net/forum/viewto ... 5acade6381

"Ad-aware...Dangerous? - Lavasoft's Rebuttal" (Posted Dec. 28, 2002)

http://d5801.u23.htnoc.net/forum/viewto ... 5acade6381

And welcome to PROneT zak2002... :)
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

New ADAWARE is out

Postby zak2002 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:07 am

I got an email tonight with a leink to Adaware plus 6.1 Its out sooner than they said and I have not dopwnloaded it yet, I aasume the free versi0on is either out now or will be tomorrow.

cAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE THAT TOOK SO LONG. THIN,K i'LL RUN THE OLD ONE WITHOUT DELETING ANYTHING AND THEN RUN THE NEW ONE AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE.
PRO New Member

Postby *Starz* » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:52 am

I just posted an article on vs. 6...sorry I meant to post it earlier today...let us know what you think...we will all be interested to know... :yesnod:
[align=center]Image

PRO Level 16

Postby zak2002 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:06 pm

I have now runAdaware 6 plus on two of my pc's. Before i did that though I ran 5.83 plus and did not del;ete any of its findings.Then uninstalled 5.893 etc.

Simply put. This thing is prettyt awsome.Version 6 found almost twice as much crap as the previous version wnd there seemto be a lot more options. Also the adwatch feature is totally different. It's vbeen running now for about an houyr and the mnumber of popups etc. that gwet through is really small and it doesn't seem to overblock. Really seems invisible.

This is just a first impression and it will probably eat my machine as soon as I send this.

Guess I should read the manual but you know how that is. I'd be interested in other opinions etc, because I'm sure IO've missed something.
PRO New Member

Postby SCgone » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:46 pm

zak2002 wrote:I have now runAdaware 6 plus on two of my pc's. Before i did that though I ran 5.83 plus and did not del;ete any of its findings.Then uninstalled 5.893 etc.

Simply put. This thing is prettyt awsome.Version 6 found almost twice as much crap as the previous version wnd there seemto be a lot more options. Also the adwatch feature is totally different. It's vbeen running now for about an houyr and the mnumber of popups etc. that gwet through is really small and it doesn't seem to overblock. Really seems invisible.

This is just a first impression and it will probably eat my machine as soon as I send this.

Guess I should read the manual but you know how that is. I'd be interested in other opinions etc, because I'm sure IO've missed something.

Pretty interesting, thatnks for the review. LOL, don't worry about reading the manual. I always try something before reading the manual, that way the manual makes more sense.
PRO PLATINUM

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus