A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Spyware app question

Spyware app question

Postby sharkattack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:14 am

hey guys i have a question regarding spyware apps my internet is loading some pages slower than normal and i know its not because of spyware but because of my spyware apps. I am running alot of them currently Zonelabs internet security suite, adware se, spybot, spyware blaster, and MS antispyware. I want to know if i should keep all of them and take the slight hit in performance or are some there that one of the other apps basically does the same thing so i wanted to know which should i keep or uninstall. THANKS
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:29 am

The only thing that runs all the time is ZA. All the others are on demand apps so you shouldn't have any problems that running 2 firewalls or AVs would cause. I've read that ZA Suite is having problems ATM that ZA free is not having, strange but apparently true. I'll see if I can dig up the article for you.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby ar1stotle » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:31 am

You do have antivirus, right?

If everything seems normal except that pages are loading a bit slower, try turning off your firewall. If that doesnt work, try resetting your modem and router. There are some other things you can do like a Winsock Fix or clear DNS cache too.

Sorry for the quick reply... I have sooo much homework tonight so I just swooped on to pro-net to see if there were some things I could help with quick.
PRO BRONZE

Postby NoReflex » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:32 am

I really don't think you need all of them...in fact I'm sure. It's like running more antivirus programs at once. I tested only two of them - AdAware and Spybot. Basically, both of them did the same thing - blocking spyware programs. :D Anyway you should try out some and keep the one ou like - I enjoyed AdAware more... Bottom of line is you need only one of them...running more won't protect your computer better, only slow it down.
PRO Level 10

Postby ar1stotle » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:36 am

blade19 wrote:I really don't think you need all of them...in fact I'm sure. It's like running more antivirus programs at once. I tested only two of them - AdAware and Spybot. Basically, both of them did the same thing - blocking spyware programs. :D Anyway you should try out some and keep the one ou like - I enjoyed AdAware more... Bottom of line is you need only one of them...running more won't protect your computer better, only slow it down.

Its actually a good practice to run 2, as they pick up different things. I myself use both ad-aware and spybot. And as long as they arent running in your memory, having multiple ones isnt slowing it down at all.
PRO BRONZE

Postby augie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:37 am

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby augie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 am

blade19 wrote:I really don't think you need all of them...in fact I'm sure. It's like running more antivirus programs at once. I tested only two of them - AdAware and Spybot. Basically, both of them did the same thing - blocking spyware programs. :D Anyway you should try out some and keep the one ou like - I enjoyed AdAware more... Bottom of line is you need only one of them...running more won't protect your computer better, only slow it down.

I have to respectfully disagree, all the other programs are not resident. As to AdAware and Spybot, one finds some garbage that the other doesn't. I run all of the programs that sharkattack does and have not noticed any performance hits. ZA suite is the only problem IMHO. Look at my previous post about ZA Suite problems.

Community Director

Postby sharkattack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:03 am

augie wrote:OK, here is the article

Oh wow i think thats it i shut off my firewall and the web pages were coming up rifle quick.
PRO Level 2

Postby sharkattack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:04 am

i think ms antispyware is an active program and spywareblaster is just a background
PRO Level 2

Postby sharkattack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:06 am

i dont know what to do now i cant just shut off my firewall since thats the main security piece for a computer and i cant uninstall it because i paid 80 bucks for it and that would just be a waste.
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to Security & Virus