A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Small & Free Antivirus A Reality???

Postby imnuts » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:51 am

ClamAV is the only other free AV program I know of that has any sort of credibility, although i think there may be one more. I see it most with Linux (see here), but they also have a Windows version available named ClamWin. I haven't tried it out, so I don't know what it's like, but as with most GNU/GPL software, it is probably good, and likely won't take up to much memory, although I could be completely wrong there.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:35 pm

By NOD32 and get it over with. Once you spend the few $$$$ you will be hooked for life with this awesome anti virus protection program.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby martini_thief » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:40 pm

Clamwin seemed promising untill I got to...

"Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner, that is, you need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

I have used nod32 off and on for about 10 years. At some point it always screws something up for me though. So I had to stop using it.

AVG I usally end up settlting for. It still seems bloated and kinda sloppy to me but it seems to grab 70% of the crap I run into. I also end up useing a2 Squared, and 3 - 4 different spyware scanners to complete the job.

As for Zone alarm, that prog. used to be the shyte but now it's way to overbearing for me.
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 pm

You are the first I have heard that NOD screwed something up......................
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:24 pm

If I had to choose between all that's out there - hands down, I would select NOD32, no question about it. I have heard of people who had problems with NOD, but those people also installed NOD AFTER a Virus infection, so I don't really count that.......
PRO PLATINUM

Re: Small & Free Antivirus A Reality???

Postby gries818 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:28 pm

martini_thief wrote:Maybe it's my old age, but it seems to me apps used to be streamlined and clean coded to do thier job effectivly and without useing gobs of CPU & RAM!

Its not just you old age. I agree. :lol:. Not just anti-virus but everything. Its why I like a lot of OpenSource apps. They are so constatly reviewed that everything is mostly tight.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Previous

Return to Security & Virus