A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

services.exe trouble

services.exe trouble

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:32 am

OK so heres how it goes,
i've had my laptop for about what 8 months now with Windows XPee Hone Edition.
Ok so I turn my laptop on as normal, but I soon realize that services.exe decides to chew up most of my processing cycles.
Well for a few moments a person can tolerate this. Let it do its thing because its a system process. But that does not happen to be the case here.
Its still fooking my processor, everytime I see my processor usage in Task manager its 100%... with services.exe chewing up the cycles.
Although i'm glad that when it runs it runs as if its a low priority program. So the comp basically doesn't lock up.
The bad thing is that I am annoyed by it especially in a power-sensitive environment.
1) The processor does not speed down below 1.79GHz (1.79GHz is the maximum speed my Athlon XP-M can go)
2) The processor fan does not speed down below its fast setting
This creates these problems:
1) The battery drains more than usual due to the high power consumption in battery mode
2) my laptop starts to get hot after 5 minutes
3) This laptop and like all others have advanced power features. My laptop's fan has four modes- off, low, medium, fast. The fast setting well as you can guess dissipates the most heat at the expense of more power. And of course sound. It sounds like a friggen vaccum cleaner.
Anyone have suggestions? I'm lost here right now. Why does it decide to do this right now?! :-x
PRO Level 15

Postby plazmo » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:52 am

not sure about that ?? have u ran a virus prog.. or a restore ??

other than that it could be a fault with the laptop itself...
PRO Level 9

Postby javiergarza4 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:25 am

all laptops have this problem, called overheating.
mine does the same thing, but without that process thing. i dont know how to fix it, but i think i should maybe buy an antec laptop fan to cool it down a bit. My fan doesn't even have those settings, but I think i know why it overheats. Did you buy that 8 months ago? I bought this a year ago. And the specs are great, but I have that overheating problem. It's a hp ze5185 Pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 512 mb of ram, and a 60 gb hd, and a mobility radeon.

If thats never happened before, then it MIGHT be a virus, or spyware, or some corrupt file somewhere.
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support