A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Security Glitch in IE8 and Windows 7

Security Glitch in IE8 and Windows 7

Postby Boo Boo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:34 am

for some reason Microsoft has embeded UAC into IE so that if you delete a favorite instead of going to the recycle bin it bypasses it and automatically gets deleted.

Why microsoft? by default UAC is enabled and any level causes it. no other version of windows does this even with UAC. if you accidentally delete the wrong favorite you never can get it back.
PRO Level 2

Re: Security Glitch in IE8 and Windows 7

Postby imnuts » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:27 am

UAC has nothing to do with this :no and I'm pretty sure that in any other browser, once you delete a favorite, that favorite is gone forever until you recreate it.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Boo Boo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 pm

only in windows 7 with ie 8.

any other browser or os it goes to the recycle bin. its considered a file. no other files bypass the recycle bin, unless they are to big and even then the safeguards are in place to alert you.

this is Microsofts way of implementing. go directly to jail do not collect your 200.00 by going past go.
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Does it do it when you push the UAC slider to uber paranoid?

I just tried it at default and top end and IE8 both times gave me a popup if I really wanted to get rid of it. I think you may have turned that checking off somewhere. Oh, my IE8 is at default as I never use it.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:21 pm

With Firefox 3.5, my deleted bookmarks don't go to the wastebasket either, but they do in IE 8 :eek:

Actually I've been very disappointed with Mozilla lately with the issues they've had in some of their recent version releases.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Grav!ty wrote:With Firefox 3.5, my deleted bookmarks don't go to the wastebasket either, but they do in IE 8 :eek:

Actually I've been very disappointed with Mozilla lately with the issues they've had in some of their recent version releases.

Ya, I agree with your assessment of FF 3.5 as that happens too on my basically default install. I also don't like their tools menu to delete certain web visits like to my bank. Anyways, this is IE8 so I'll defer to Boo Boo's topic.

Like imnuts said, nothing to do with UAC.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Boo Boo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:48 pm

it still asks you if you want to delete it but it should be sent to the recycle bin not permamently deleted
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:49 pm

I just deleted a favorite in IE 8. I got a popup that asked if I wanted to remove it, clicked yes, and the favorite was then in the recycle bin. Firefox and any other web browser I've ever used just delete it outright as you're claiming IE 8 is doing for you. The only way that I know of that this could happen is if you turned off the recycle bin function and have it set to delete things and bypass the recycle bin, which is possible, but definitely not the default or something that is a simple change.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Boo Boo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:44 pm

nope, all other files go to the recycle bin. is your uac on? and do you see the shield next to delete?

if i disable uac it goes to the recycle bin. but by default uac is onto protect the pc not perm delete items like its doing
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 am

I have UAC at it's default setting, and there isn't a UAC icon next to any of my favorites. Not sure what favorites you're viewing or what you did to UAC to change the behavior if the recycle bin is still active.
PRO SUPREME

Next

Return to General Windows Support