A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Router Help

Router Help

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 1:42 am

I need some help. I just purchased my first Router... to replace my Switch. It's a Wirless Linksys Router so I can use my new labtop on the network.

Unfortunately, while my two desktops can see each other... getting the one not connected directly to the Internet to be able to surf the net has become next to impossible. While everything worked fine on the Switch, I cannot seem to get the computers to see the Internet anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My configuration is that my ADSL USB modem is plugged into my main PC. That main PC then has a Ethernet card with a cable that runs into the switch. The switch then has 4 other ethernet cables connecting my other PC's and the wireless channel has succesfully picked up my labtop's wireless connection (though it doesn't see the other PC's yet).
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby OsirisX » Sun May 23, 2004 1:47 am

John can you provide a specific model number?
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 1:48 am

Yeah, let me go get it...
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 1:49 am

It's the WRT54G version 1.1 Wirless-G Broadband Router.
President

Postby OsirisX » Sun May 23, 2004 1:53 am

How many PCs do you have? If less than 4 then you should connect the Modem straight to the switch so all the PCs would be connected straight on to the net.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 1:53 am

I can/will post some screenshots of my set up if needed.
President

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 1:54 am

UnknownDarknessX wrote:How many PCs do you have? If less than 4 then you should connect the Modem straight to the switch so all the PCs would be connected straight on to the net.

It's a USB modem... no can do.
President

Postby ~Spider~ » Sun May 23, 2004 1:54 am

John, I have a four port router connected to a DSL modem. I
PRO Level 10

Postby OsirisX » Sun May 23, 2004 1:58 am

Yes, this is how you would probably set it up, and you'd probably have to also configure something in the firewall if you have one.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Sun May 23, 2004 2:00 am

jimartin8219 wrote:John, I have a four port router connected to a DSL modem. I
President

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing