A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Refurbished or not?

Refurbished or not?

Postby netNomad » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:17 am

I was wondering if anybody here has used refurbished MBs and how did they do. I will building a new computer soon and with limited money I was thinking maybe I would try a higher quality board that is refurbished ( for the same price) over the lower priced new one I have chosen.
I have chosen an Asus board as the new one I am looking at.

Thanks,
Joe
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:22 am

A refurbrished mb should be fine, as long as it comes with long warranty. I'm using a refubrished monitor for my desktop and it's working out great.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby tWeaKmoD » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:31 am

In my view refurbished and used are TOTALLY different things. From what I know refurbished have been sent back to the manufacture becuase of failure. This means that they have to test them before sending them back out to be sold as refurbised. To me this is a good thing because you know that the company has personally tested it. Used you have no clue....
PROfessional Member

Postby netNomad » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:51 am

I kinda figured that a refurbished board would be as good as a new one because as you said they company has to redo it and test it before sending it back out. I might check into this some more before I decide what I do. Maybe somedody here has used one and give some insight into how it worked out for them.

Joe
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:53 am

Usually people return perfectly good boards because they don't understand the prob. I see nothing wrong with getting a refurbrished board. Just make sure there is a good warranty.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:57 am

It is also going to depend on what board it is in the first place. The company matters too. An Asus refurbished board is going to be of superior quality to an ECS refurbished board. Rest assured the Asus QA department is much more vigilant than ECS's.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby netNomad » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:03 am

Thanks for the input. Part of the reason for this question is because I found some Asus boards that have been refurbished. The prices are really cheap compared to the new boards of the same type. Some are as low as $50 which peeked my interest :yesnod:

Joe
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:07 am

If you want to get a refubrished product, it might be better to get it from a computer fair or something, so you can examine it to find any obvious probs, also you can bargin for a better price.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby tWeaKmoD » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:08 am

Computing fairs don't always have the best return policy though. Looks can be deceiving, be careful if you do that.
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:12 am

That is why I've kept on repeating to make sure that you have a good warranty, I think I have three years of full warranty for m monitor so I don't have to worry about it having probs.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing