A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Red - NAV alert box w32.Sobig

Postby SCgone » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 pm

Joni, if you don't want them on the list, then you can right click and choose remove. It will remove it from the list. Of course if you want them to stay blocked, then leave them with the red X
Last edited by SCgone on Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Joni » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:47 pm

Hi Bell, knew the answer to my question the minute after I posted it. I've learned that much.
I just love :flirt :flirt :flirt only meant to hit this once! your sayings at end of your profile. Looking for ceiling!
Thanks for answer. ^*^
Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird "butt"

PROfessional Member

Postby Joni » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:56 pm

Michel or anyone. Went to disable xp's firewall and found out that it was off by default. For a year and one half I've not been protected. In the first 24hrs of using Zone Alarm Pro 39 port scans and attempts to access my computer were blocked. How did I live without this? :embarrassed:

PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:03 pm

LOL, maybe what you don't know can't hurt you after all Joni. A lot or most of those scans are probably false. I don't remember if you have broadband or dial-up. But if it's dial-up they probably are false. XP's built in firewall is marginal adequate on incoming stuff, but where ZA helps is the warning on trojans and spy programs dialing out.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Joni » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:25 pm

I have a dial up connection. I kept wondering why there was no conflict between the firewall's. It seems to me that if both were active I'd have had a notice of some sort.
It's amazing the number of people trying to access computers. I get a lot of scans blocked on port 139 which is for sharing? Maybe I need to change something but don't know what! LOL

PROfessional Member

Postby *Starz* » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:37 pm

LOL...I have a couple of things to say here.

One...I Certainly agree with Bell that a lot of those alerts are false...If you are on dialup...some of them are you're ISP checking to see whether or not you are still there and active...Some appear to be solicitors...At the same time...I have noticed recently after watching Weaver pound my system for almost 2 hours trying to penetrate my firewall (a test I asked him to perform)...That there are some out there with deffinate ill intent...I have been checking my alerts closer and have found more than one suspicous character trying to get at me repeatedly...Also decided to start reporting the ones who are suspicous through their persistence...One fella keeps changing his IP...when I reported him...he already had 1049 complaints lodged against him...According to ZAP...anyone over 1000 is considered an abuser in their book... :yesnod:

Joni...I have a saying...That if God protects fools and little children...then God is certainly watching over me vigilantly...as I have quite a bit of both in me... :lol:

Also...you might want to select hiding those alerts if they are making you crazy...You can always pull up the logs to view anytime you want...I had a different expierence the other day...Surfing along...all of a sudden a full page alert showed up on my screen...ZAP had shut down my access to the internet...the message stated that either one of two things may have occured...One being a hacker...the other malfunctioning software...Even tho' I found this a mild nuisance...at the same time...I felt reassured that my firewall was protecting me.
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Joni » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:47 pm

The alerts don't really bother me but the privacy advisior did so I shut it off. So far of those 39 blocked access to my computer it contained 9 of high rating, if you know what I mean. How did you narrow your knowledge of one particular person down. Just keep a log of what ip was trying to access your system?

PROfessional Member

Postby *Starz* » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:01 am

When you receive an alert...you are given the option for more information...if you say yes...or rather click on it...You will be taken to Zone Alarms page where there are 4 tabs to view...each one gives you information...the last one for hacker id...will give you the individuals name...IP and location if they have not bothered to shield themselves...That's how I was able to tell it was the same male...just different addy's...LOL...I even got his phone number...This fella is in Panama...At the bottom of the page you are also given the choice to report the individual if you feel it necessary.
Last edited by *Starz* on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

~ You Are Never Given A Wish Without Being Given The Power To Make It Come True ~[/align]
PRO Level 16

Postby Joni » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:06 am

I've been clicking on more info but never bothered to check tabs on top. Will go back and check on alerts and logs, thank you

Must sign off for now, have lots to do, only one day and I'm off for NY state on vacation. See you tomorrow. ^*^

PROfessional Member

Postby *Starz* » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:18 am

You're welcome Joni...have a great time in NY... :yesnod:

When you go to Alerts & Logs...click on an entry...it will turn blue...then at the bottom you will see a button that says more info...click on that...then click the tabs for viewing.
[align=center]Image

PRO Level 16

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus