A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Recycle Bin registry toubles!!!

Recycle Bin registry toubles!!!

Postby jpChris » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:41 am

Hi,
I have a couple of XP Pro questions: I've been trying to rename the Recycle Bin to "Trash" for about 2 months now. I've gone into the registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache) and changed the name; that didn't work for too long. I then changed the binary numbers to read Trash; that doesn't work for too long, either. I've shutdown and restarted in safe mode three times in a row and - you guessed it- same thing.

That's the story. First question: Does anyone know how to "permanently" change the name of the recycle bin? I've noticed that sometimes when I close out of a program, and the desktop refreshes itself, it will change back, but not always.
Second question: I got tired of going into the registry all the time, so I exported the reg file to my desktop and when it arbitrarily changes back to Recycle Bin, I merge the reg file back, hit F5 and it's back to Trash. Will doing this keep adding the file, or is it replaced by what I merged?

jpChris
PRO Level 2

Postby epec254 » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:12 pm

Right click on the recycle bin, and choose rename. Type your desired name.
VP - Technology
VP - Technology

RE: Recycle Bin rename

Postby jpChris » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm

Hi Peter,

Uh, I hope you were joking when you said to right click on the Recycle Bin and click Rename as there is no option to rename.

Or, am I missing something?

jpChris
PRO Level 2

Postby epec254 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:24 pm

Actually, I wasn't. The option was there in previous windows, I assumed it would be there in XP. If you have norton utilities, it does give you the option to change the name of the recyle bin.

Just a questiob, but is it that important that the recycle bin be called trash?
VP - Technology
VP - Technology

Postby SCgone » Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:29 pm

Look at this link if you'd like another registry hack.

http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips51.shtml
PRO PLATINUM

Postby gjgxp » Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:38 pm

right click>create shortcut>RENAME SHORTCUT TO TRASH...then find a way of 'hiding' original recycle bin?
PRO New Member

Postby jpChris » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:09 am

Hi Peter,

I want to change the name of the recycle bin because I'm going to set up XP with several people using it. As each user logs on, I want to setup each one with their own recycle bin, but with different names, ie., Chris' Trash, Sara's Trash, etc.
That way, if someone deletes something they shouldn't, I can find it quickly and restore it - among other things.

By the by, the link you posted may have helped. The reg entry didn't have @="Trash", it only had Trash and I hope that the word Trash is supposed to have quote marks around it.

Anyway, thanks, Peter.

Sincerely,
jpChris
PRO Level 2

Postby XJan87 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:31 am

The recycle bin stores the files in (drive the original file was on):\RECYCLER\(Windows user ID) no matter what Windows shows you. Every user has a Recycle Bin of their own that can be emptied from their own user accounts.
PROfessional Member

Return to Guides