A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Raid Disks

Raid Disks

Postby beakie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I have been looking at Western Digital Raid specification disks and how much more expensive they are compared to a standard Sata disk.

Whats the difference between the two?

Could I use the standard Sata disk for a raid array?

Thanks in advance!

:question
PRO New Member

Re: Raid Disks

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 pm

No, you can not use just a standard hard drive for a RAID array. Western Digital Black and Green hard drives are known to cause problems in a RAID array. WD Black hard drives have a deep recovery cycle. Check out this Link to the WD knowledge base
PRO Level 15

Postby beakie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:36 pm

I thought I would ask the question because I have seen feedback from guys who have purchased desktop drives and used them in a raid array.
Having also seen raid disks advertised I became a bit confused as to why they are being manufactured if the above is possible.

Thanks for including the link. I understand now.

Thanks again mnemonic!

mnemonicj wrote:No, you can not use just a standard hard drive for a RAID array. Western Digital Black and Green hard drives are known to cause problems in a RAID array. WD Black hard drives have a deep recovery cycle. Check out this Link to the WD knowledge base
PRO New Member

Postby freeagent » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm

if you can find some raptor adfd's, they run awsome in matrix raid 0.

very reliable too, after 2 years as a dual drive set, and more recently as a 3 drive array, and some very hard overclocking :)

in my current config, im as quick as a v-rap in latency, with 7ms and an str of 260mb/s (4200mb/s burst)

in a 2 drive array, i can get down into the 6ms range, but str takes a dive to about 170mb/s (about 3000mb/s burst)

that 3rd drive really kicks it up :drool:
i7 970|Noctua NH-D14|Giga UD-5 Rev.1|6GB Adata 2000G|Asus GTX570|Auzentech Prelude|WD64GB SSD/1TB Black|TX850
PRO Level 18

Return to General Tech Chat