A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Quicktime plugin crashes ALL my browsers

Quicktime plugin crashes ALL my browsers

Postby Cornflake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:47 am

Hi all,

It seems I'm having a problem I never had before. I occasionally watch Quicktime videos online and I need it installed in case i run into any .mov files on the internet. The thing is, ANY quicktime video crashes IE6, Firefox 2.0, and yes even Apple's own Safari browser for Windows [It was worth a try, lmao!]. IE6 and Safari just give me a standard 'Encountered and error and must close' box but Firefox pops up with this just before it crashes:

I've tried re-installing Quicktime AND Quicktime alternative but the problem still seems to persist. Any ideas?

-Thanks
Last edited by Cornflake on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 15

Postby Cornflake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:13 am

Oh, I wanted to add that I just deleted the Quicktime DLLs from my plugin folders in both Firefox and IE and then did a repair install of QT, but the problem still persists :(

You've heard of DLL hell? It seems like i'm in plugin hell at the moment...
PRO Level 15

Postby Nativedude » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:06 am

Try running a program like CCleaner after the uninstall that will remove any leftover reg entries
then reinstall
PRO Level 15

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:24 am

Ya a complete uninstall of it will be good. Run CCleaner and this regeristry cleaner. It will find MORE than CCleaner.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm

I don't know if this will cause the same problem. But have you unsintalled quicktime then got the DLLs seperatly? Like at dlldump?
PRO Level 8

Postby Cornflake » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:06 am

LOL this is REDICULOUS!

I just installed QuickTime Alternative v1.81 (Most recent) on my PC after it has been COMPLETLEY REFORMATTED meaning NO OLD FILES LEFT and it is STILL crashing Firefox / IE the same as when I posted this with a several month old version of XP.

What a FUKING PIECE OF sh*t QUICKTIME IS! I'm ready to go hunt down steve jobs and blow his brains out at the moment.

I will now un-install quicktime alt, use CCcleaner, andre-install the free version of QuickTime from apple's website and see if I still get the problem.

P.S. I use VLC media player a lot, and it can play .MOV files with a Firefox plugin apparently. I can't get the plugin to work, feel free to view my thread about it here: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=38170
PRO Level 15

Postby Nativedude » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:42 am

There has got to be some conflicting software somewhere on your computer
PRO Level 15

Postby Cornflake » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Okay I'm a bit calmer now. If QuickTime is crashing even on a very fresh install of Windows XP, whether it be QuickTime alternative OR the official release then it must be some other software conflicting on my PC. It only crashes with the browser plugin, but the full player for local files works fine.

I did a system restore to a point I made today before QuickTime touched my PC. Then I installed it, but I still received crashes in IE and Firefox. It can't be an addon in Firefox that's conflicting if it happens in IE6 also.

Could it be since I tried installing QuickTime alternative first it leaves some kind of remnants that are causing this? I will try the reg cleaners again. I'm just so insistant on getting QuickTime files playing in my browser because Firefox thinks embeded music needs Quicktime to play.
PRO Level 15

Postby Cornflake » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:46 am

Okay guys, I have a little more info. I remembered I can look up errors in the Event Viewer and found that this was logged every time my browser crashed when the plugin started playing a .MOV file:

Code: Select all
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20061.1023, faulting module quicktime.qts, version 7.1.5.120, fault address 0x0006f584.

That's when Firefox crashes, and here's what Internet Explorer says:

Code: Select all
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module quicktime.qts, version 7.1.5.120, fault address 0x0006f584.

Now, remember that even with different Quicktime versions I get this same crash.
PRO Level 15

Postby Nativedude » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm

well that shows that it is the quicktime.qts module that is causing the programs to crash
Question now is why is it crashing and how to stop it

My money is still on some software that is conflicting with quicktime, especially since you did a reformat and it still don't work
If you can try it on a fresh install that has no software and see if it works
PRO Level 15

Postby jaelanicu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 am

Did playing the MOV file from the Apple QuickTime Player standalone also crashed?
In QuickTime control panel, have you tried setting the safe mode for both audio and video?

EDIT: Sorry for bringing out old post.
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Return to General Windows Support