A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Questions about installing XP with preinstalled Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Questions about installing XP with preinstalled Vista

Postby sidhe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:01 am

so I'm about to try THIS on a new HP that has 2 separate drives (120GB ea) and vista ultimate 64 bit pre installed...

Any suggestions to work around the fact that I only have recovery disks, absolutely no OS or driver disks provided at time of sale? HP has the "recovery partition" (~8GB drive E: ) which based on size is part of drive C: (OS-vista) there is also a drive D: (Data)

I assume that there is no need to create a new partition as i have a second hard drive, but I know that I will need to reformat it.

I have the install disc for XP pro sp1 32-bit and an update to sp2, but the manufacturer refuses to provide a copy of Vista even though its a new computer. :bashhead

I may be fretting over nothing, but I am really concerned about setting up the dual boot properly so any suggestions would be really helpful.
thx
merideth (sidhe)
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:48 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! I've moved your topic here so more people are likely to see it and give you a better possiblity of a faster solution. OK, if you already have a 2nd drive, there really is no need to even format it (XP can do that during the install), but realize this:
You will (Temporarily) lose the ability to boot to Vista, as by installing XP, you essentially kill the Vista bootloader, but not to worry, we can fix that.
Please verify you are installing to XP to an IDE or SATA HDD and also what type of drive your Vista is on (IDE or SATA), as this makes a difference.
Enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems