A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Question re System Bootloader Install option

Question re System Bootloader Install option

Postby ddoubled2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:11 am

I've started to work with (i.e., look at options) in DualBootPro and am unclear about the purpose the System Bootloader section serves.

When and why would I use it?

Also, while I'm at it: every time I run the program W7's UAC asks for permission - although I'm running as Admin. Says "unknown publisher". It's irritating. I don't want to lower the general safety level set for the UAC, but is there anything I can do re this particular application.
PRO New Member

Re: Question re System Bootloader Install option

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 am

ddoubled2 wrote:I've started to work with (i.e., look at options) in DualBootPro and am unclear about the purpose the System Bootloader section serves.

DualBootPro is essentially a tool to ease management of your boot loader if you should wish to have more than one Windows version installed on your computer.

However, XP and that generation of Windows, including Server 2003, and XP x64 do not use the same boot loader as the newer Windows versions, Vista, 2008, and Windows 7.

The older bootloader will let you boot any of the older generation of Windows versions, whereas the new boot loader will let you either boot the newer versions, or to emulate the older boot loader for multi booting purposes with the older versions.

The System Bootloader section will let you manage which boot loader will be loaded when you switch on your computer.

ddoubled2 wrote:When and why would I use it?

It can be used either for troubleshooting purposes, in cases where Windows setup fails to properly create the desired multi boot environment ; or to fix your multi boot environment should you wish to install an older version of Windows onto a computer with Vista, 2008, or W7 installed (because installing an older version will remove the newer boot loader and replace it with the legacy one) ; it can also be used in a number of other scenarios, such as for example if you change your hard drives configuration, you can use this tool for easier recreation of the desired boot environment.

ddoubled2 wrote:Also, while I'm at it: every time I run the program W7's UAC asks for permission - although I'm running as Admin. Says "unknown publisher". It's irritating. I don't want to lower the general safety level set for the UAC, but is there anything I can do re this particular application.

Perhaps someone who uses the UAC feature will be able to provide you with information, but personally I just switch the dang thing off ;)
Last edited by JabbaPapa on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO VETERAN

Re: Question re System Bootloader Install option

Postby jbullard » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Also, while I'm at it: every time I run the program W7's UAC asks for permission - although I'm running as Admin. Says "unknown publisher". It's irritating. I don't want to lower the general safety level set for the UAC, but is there anything I can do re this particular application.

Can you please provide a screenshot of the "unknown publisher" prompt?

You should be getting a prompt as DualBootPRO requires administrator privileges and the only way around that would be to turn off UAC; unfortunately. However, with that said, it should have us as the publisher. If you are not, then we will have to look in to the reason.
VP - Software

Return to Guides