A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Question about my speakers and static noise

Question about my speakers and static noise

Postby Cornflake » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 am

Hi all,

Since my mother and I moved into a new house, I've been having an interesting issue with my 5.1 speaker system and subwoofer. My room with my PC and equipment is right behind the wall to the study.

Now, whenever the shredder is used in the study, it causes my subwoofer and speakers in my room to have a lot of static come over them. I can hear the humming of the shredder from the hallway (the pitch changes, you can hear it getting louder and quieter as it eats the paper) and the static seems to follow the patter suggesting it's caused by the shredder taking in less or more electricity.

My subwoofer is connected through an APC surge protector, which is then connected to the outlet in the wall. I thought this would stop any interference, but i guess not. Do you guys have any idea how to prevent this... will, say, tying knots in my speaker's power cord help?

- Thanks, Cornflake
PRO Level 15

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm

I don't know of any way to prevent it. I think it might just be like the way laser printers make lights flicker. It's possibly not enough to cause the backup battery to turn on but enough to cause interference.
PRO BRONZE

Postby imnuts » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Could be interference being caused by the motor in the shredder.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Hardware and Customizing