A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

PSU Recommendations Please (ASUS P5Q Pro)

PSU Recommendations Please (ASUS P5Q Pro)

Postby augie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm

I screwed up when I bought my ASUS P5Q Pro and Q6600 by thinking my older PSUs would work but they don't have the EATX12V-8pin connectors which, as per the mobo manual, says that I need! :cry:

I don't expect to ever go SLI as I don't game, I will not OC and my current PCI-E is a 7600GT, nor do I need modular cabling. With all that said, which PSU would you choose in the under $100 USD range as this is new territory for me. American links are fine.:) Thanks all!
Last edited by augie on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:19 pm

If you can find a 500W or greater Cooler Master at Newegg within that price range where you are, I'd say go for it Algis. Here's one with all the blurb at Cooler Master

Here's some of the specs to look for OVP/UVP/OTP/OCP/OLP/OPP/SCP (you can look up what they all mean yourself :P ), and most importantly I'd say PFC (Power Frequency Control). Also, try and find one with a minimum of 80% Efficiency.

Antec are also supposed to have really good PSU's but I don't know if they just brand them or build them. Either way they're unlikely to endorse a poor product.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 pm

I like the Thermaltake Purepower Power Supplies, and a lot of them are under $100 easy
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Absolute-Zero » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Hiper make some good, reliable PSUs that pump out serious juice!

They tend to be a little pricey, though. It might be worthwhile looking into the sort of prices they retail at in the US.

I used to be a big fan of Thermaltake Purepower PSUs, too, but I've had two of them go bang on me so I can't recommend them.
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Am I correct that the PSU has to have a minimum Intel 2.0 specification and it will have the EATX12v-8 pin connector?

Here's a verbatim list of Grav!ty's acronyms. Add 'Protection' after the terms.

* Power Failure Detector will light up when Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temperature, Over-Current, Over-Loading, and Short circuit occur.

Here's a lowend PSU that I'm looking at, I'm not saying that I'll buy it but just to know what the bottom edge is. Can I assume that the 1 x 12V(P4) connector is what I'm after? Newegg and then click on specs, at the bottom.

EDIT: I just got the board and checked the manual, yup, I need a spec of 2.0 for the PSU as a minimum. I'm going to try and find something locally as I don't want to wait anymore. I only have less than a month to RMA stuff if I have to.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Over the years I have had some of every power supply go bad, Antec, Thermaltake, NSpire. Thermaltake has a 5 year warranty, almost all the others have 3 years warranties.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 pm

It may not be an issue where you are Augie, but if you need it make sure Power supply has PFC (power factor correction) It is a switch that takes it from 110v to 220v
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:53 pm

yeshuas wrote:It may not be an issue where you are Augie, but if you need it make sure Power supply has PFC (power factor correction) It is a switch that takes it from 110v to 220v

Nah, we have 110 or 120V here.

Wow, what a trip through power supply land! :shocked: Things sure have changed in 3 years! The research that I've done shows me that the EPS12V v2.91 is the operative spec to follow for my board. I've checked the CoolerMaster PSU's and I like the reviews, also I have a CoolerMaster 690 case that I just bought but as it's a bottom mount for the PSU, I think I'll have to install the PSU in upside down, anyways no biggie.

Now that I know what I need to look for, I'll check the TTs and the Antecs, both of which I currently have and have given me no issues to date. ^*^ I think I lucked out by not getting a new PSU when I ordered my rig, as I probably would have bought the wrong one and would have had to RMA it paying shipping and restocking fees! :enough:

One thing that really confuses me is why ASUS shipped the P5Q Pro board with a 4-pin cap on the EATX12V-8-pin connector as I thought that meant I could use the extra 4-pin CPU connector that I already have on my PSUs. Thank the stars that I always read the manuals along with asking for directions. :P

Community Director

Postby Absolute-Zero » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 pm

If there's a four-pin cap over half of the plug, Augie, then you should be perfectly fine using the standard 4 pin connector. They put the cover over four of them so you know which end to plug the four pin connector into. Also, having a quick search around, there's posts on other sites from various people asking the same question and others are using the standard four pins without problem, for example....
I just completed a very similar new build - Antec 900 + P5Q Pro + Corsair 750TX - and would check the following.
Do you have the 8-pin 12V power plug connected? Note that you need to remove the cap covering 4 of the pins on the motherboard and the combine the two 4-pin 12V connectors from the power supply into one 8-pin connector. See page 2-34 of the manual.
Are you using the Asus Q-Connector for front panel connections? And in the correct orientation? I found that made the pin connections much easier to make. See page 2-36 in the manual.

I have the P5Q Pro and only one 4-pin connector plugged in, I left the cap on the other 4. Seems to work for me. Whats the other 4pins for? My power supply only has one 4-pin for motherboard that I remember.

My Maximus Extreme has exactly the same thing and it runs fine with a four pin 12v.

I think it's similar to Mobos that have the 24 pin ATX connector but will happily run when connected to a 20 pin PSU. The extra connections are there to provide more power and stability but are optional. You don't HAVE to have something plugged in there for it to work.

Of course, if you're uncomfortable trying it and running without the 8 pin connector then get yourself a new PSU.
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:22 pm

Absolute-Zero wrote:If there's a four-pin cap over half of the plug, Augie, then you should be perfectly fine using the standard 4 pin connector. They put the cover over four of them so you know which end to plug the four pin connector into. Also, having a quick search around, there's posts on other sites from various people asking the same question and others are using the standard four pins without problem, for example....
I just completed a very similar new build - Antec 900 + P5Q Pro + Corsair 750TX - and would check the following.
Do you have the 8-pin 12V power plug connected? Note that you need to remove the cap covering 4 of the pins on the motherboard and the combine the two 4-pin 12V connectors from the power supply into one 8-pin connector. See page 2-34 of the manual.
Are you using the Asus Q-Connector for front panel connections? And in the correct orientation? I found that made the pin connections much easier to make. See page 2-36 in the manual.

I have the P5Q Pro and only one 4-pin connector plugged in, I left the cap on the other 4. Seems to work for me. Whats the other 4pins for? My power supply only has one 4-pin for motherboard that I remember.

My Maximus Extreme has exactly the same thing and it runs fine with a four pin 12v.

I think it's similar to Mobos that have the 24 pin ATX connector but will happily run when connected to a 20 pin PSU. The extra connections are there to provide more power and stability but are optional. You don't HAVE to have something plugged in there for it to work.

Of course, if you're uncomfortable trying it and running without the 8 pin connector then get yourself a new PSU.

Interesting info indeed as I never looked at other forums. Thanks for that! Let's see what happens. :yesnod:

Community Director

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing