..........so I have no means of ever "attaching" the printer to print from my application. That's the problem I am trying to solve, else it doesn't do me much good to open my application directly from the Win 7 Start Menu if I can't print from the application...
There is a way.
1) Run application from start menu in Windows 7
2) Wait for application to start
3) Right-click on "XP Mode" in task bar
4) Select "Manage USB Devices"
5) Select required USB device in list
6) Click on Attach
7) Wait for status to change from Available to Attached
8) Do not close "Manage USB Devices" (this leaves "XP Mode" running)
9) Use application with USB device
10) When finished close application
11) Close "Manage USB Devices"
If application still does find USB device
1) Close application
2) Right-click on "XP Mode" in task bar
3) Select application to run again
I had to manually attach my HP 5370cse scanner this way. My HP 970cse printer automatically attached itself and had a Shared status. Note both devices are about 9 year old.