A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Problem in Dual Boot, Vista not working after installing XP

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Problem in Dual Boot, Vista not working after installing XP

Postby manishakar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi!
I had Windows Vista Starter installed on my Zenith PC. I installed XP on other partition. Now, Vista is not working. Searched on internet, i downloaded *stolen software reference* / Vista Boot Pro , and followed the direction to re-install vista bootloader and making it default operating system, but nothing worked. My XP is working fine, but i also want to operate on Vista. Moreover, i do not have a vista installation CD as i got it installed from my Comapany. i have also tried to follow DOS commands guidance available on net to solve the problem.

Please, guide me to enable dual booting on my System.

- Thanking you in advance
Manishakar
PRO New Member

Re: Problem in Dual Boot, Vista not working after installing XP

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Check out these guides Manishakar:

http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... a_running/

http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... oot_to_xp/

It's not exactly your situation but you will get a good idea of what is necessary.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby manishakar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm

I read it and have got the idea of it. But, need proper guidance to solve my problem. In my case, XP is working(installed on D: drive) and C: drive(where vista is installed) is the system Drive while D: drive is the boot drive.
I guess what i need to do is to copy the necessary Boot Files from D: drive and paste it in C: drive and then use Vista Boot PRo.

Need Guidance step by step. Will be grateful for this.

Thanks

Manishakar
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Try this guide and if you still are unsure what to do, someone will walk you through the process:

reformatted-and-reinstalled-xp-lost-boot-to-vista-t84209.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby manishakar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for the link! However, i already know this process. One thing, u ddnt read in my problem is that i don't have Vista DVD! However, there is Vista Setup File in Installed Vista in my C: Drive. But, it dsnt show 'Repair' option whn run!
Any other option available?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Please post the contents of Boot Information>Detailed and lets see if we can add an entry or try to configure the BCD, assuming of course that you have the folder Boot and the file bootmgr present on your system. If those items are not present, you're going to have to find a Vista DVD either from your company or from a friend.

PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems