A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Power supply fan

Power supply fan

Postby augie » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:45 pm

Recently upon booting it would start to make a noise like a distant prop plane along with vibrations. I tap it with a screwdriver handle gently and the noise goes away. My concern is if the fan stops will it blow the PSU or a fuse or overheat the PSU My sides are currently off my box. TIA
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby plazmo » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:54 pm

no the fan is there just to drag the heat out and keep it cool to prevent it over heating and melting then probly cause a major hazard..

i got a few that make a noise i think its mainly caused through dust that collects on your fan and gets inside the internal cog (dont know if you would call it that). from time to time i use a vacume or hairdryer to remove the lumps of dust... or you could take it apart and give it a good clean from inside...making sure theres no power going to it and carefull not to knock any major parts about.

if the fan does stop i suggest not using your pc on long term ..or buy a new power suply ...
PRO Level 9

Postby jojo » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:36 pm

I just had that problem also,heck of a noise. had to replace the power supply, he told me it was because I was smoking near my computer. :x
Administrative

Postby plazmo » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:50 pm

then you told him you dont smoke lol .....

a cheaper way if your good at electrics is to open the power suply.

un-solder the power wires from the fan and put a new fan in and re-solder the power wires ... here in uk a new power suply is about
PRO Level 9

Postby Xstream » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:51 pm

I can believe that. the smoke coats everything and acts like insulation, making stuff overheat.
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:55 pm

A new powersupply is also pretty cheap over here. I think the cheapest ones are only about $30.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby SCgone » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:00 pm

There isn't much to those fans and a tiny amount of dust will cause that noice. I would clean it good before I invested in another power supply. With power supplies, you get what you pay for a lot of the times. I bought a cheap one 2 months ago and it lasted 1 month.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jojo » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:29 pm

plazmo wrote:a cheaper way if your good at electrics is to open the power suply.

un-solder the power wires from the fan and put a new fan in and re-solder the power wires ...

Right! :whistle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't even attempt to open the case, don't know what a power supply looks like, all this talk of being grounded. Nope, Cost me about $45Cnd--
Administrative

Postby UjusME » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:45 pm

How old is the power supply?
PRO Level 8

Postby Dalsim » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:20 am

xstream wrote:I can believe that. the smoke coats everything and acts like insulation, making stuff overheat.

Eeeee, yes and no. It is more of the tar that will cover things and if what the tar covers is hot then it will cause a problem. The no is you have to remember that the fan expells the heat from the PSU therefor the smoke and tar would have to be dragged in through the puter itself, which would mean you would have other more major problems as well.

I have had a few which are like that, no real problem apart from the noise but one either cleans it out or replace the fan itself or (depending on the age of the machine and what it is used for) I sometimes replace the PSU and get a more powerful one.
"Life is merely a fraction of a second. An infinitely small amount of time to fulfill our desires, our dreams, our passions." Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1904)
AEST
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing